These thick and chewy Rhubarb and Ginger Flapjacks are the perfect transitional bake as we make our way into the cooler months. Sticky oat bars packed with syrup and ginger chunks, thick ribbons of rhubarb preserve running through the centre like a river of deliciousness. These bars are tooth achingly sweet and so so delicious, you just gotta try them!
- 250g unsalted butter
- 300g brown sugar
- 150g golden syrup
- 2tbsp ginger syrup from a jar
- 1/2 jar of Opies stem ginger in syrup, chopped into small pieces
- 600g rolled oats
- 225g rhubarb and ginger preserve
- 150g white chocolate chunks, divided
- Preheat oven to 175C and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking parchment
- In a medium saucepan set over a medium heat combine the butter, sugar, golden syrup and ginger syrup. Stir together until melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the oats to a large mixing bowl and pour over the butter and sugar mixture followed by the chopped ginger. Stir together until everything is evenly combined.
- Pour half of the oat mixture into the prepared baking pan and press into an even layer. Drop spoonfuls of the rhubarb preserve evenly over the oat layer, don’t smooth it out. You want there to be thick hunks of jam when you cut into the flapjacks. Sprinkle 100g of chocolate chips over the jam.
- Add the remaining oat mixture over the jammy layer and level it off gently so not to upset the nice globs of jammy goodness.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden in colour.
- Allow to cool completely before removing the flapjacks from the pan and slicing.
- Melt the remaining 50g of white chocolate and drizzle over the flapjack squares. Allow to cool.
I cut the flapjacks into 16 small squares as they’re very sweet but you can cut them larger if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Brownies and Bars
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Rhubarb, Ginger, Flapjacks, Oats