These Nutella Cupcakes are sure to hit the spot! A delicious chocolate sponge filled with creamy hazelnut chocolate spread and topped off with a fudgy Nutella buttercream. This is the ultimate recipe for all you Nutella lovers out there.
For the cupcakes:
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g soft dark brown sugar
- 3 large, free range eggs
- 175g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 4tbsp cocoa powder
- 2tbsp whole milk
- jar of Nutella
For the frosting:
- 125g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 20g cocoa powder
- 230g icing sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp Nutella
- 1-2tbsp whole milk
- Ferrero Rochers & Strawberries to decorate
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 175°C fan and line a cupcake tray with 12 liners.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Set aside.
- Place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and mix until light and fluffy, around 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add the flour mixture in one go ensuring all the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Mix the milk through the batter until smooth.
- Fill the cupcake liners to 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Once your cupcakes are cool make a hollow in the centre of each cupcake using an apple corer or a small knife and fill each hole with a teaspoon of Nutella. Set aside while you make the frosting.
For the Frosting:
- To make the frosting first mix the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and soft. Add the icing sugar, cocoa, vanilla and 1tbsp of milk. Turn the mixer on low and gradually increase the speed. Once everything is just combined add the Nutella spread. Whip for 5 minutes, if the frosting looks too stiff add a splash more milk until you reach a nice piping consistency.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled fill a piping bag, fitted with an open star nozzle, with the Nutella frosting and pipe a cute swirl on each cake.
- Top with half a Ferrero Rocher and half a strawberry to decorate
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Nutella, Chocolate, Cupcakes