These crispy oven baked buffalo wings are so good you’ll be questioning whether or not you actually bought them from a restaurant and forgot. Smothered in finger licking hot and spicy buffalo sauce and served with a cool and delicious blue cheese sauce, you’ll find yourself as addicted as I am.
My name is Katie and I am a buffalo wing addict! This is no lie, if buffalo wings are on the menu, you better believe I’m ordering them. I just love everything about them, hot and spicy sauce paired with a tangy blue cheese dip. I’m salivating just thinking about them.
These oven baked buffalo wings are restaurant quality, no joke! The skin is so crispy and delicious you’ll never believe they’re not fried, but we aint got time for frying. The ovens all we need for these crispy suckers! The secret here is the baking powder, that little sprinkle of dust is the difference between a perfectly crisp wing and a flabby mess.
Tips for making Oven Baked Buffalo Wings:
- Portioning the wings: To make your life easier, buy the ready portioned wings but you can easily do it yourself. Just use a sharp knife to remove the tip and cut along the joint. Here’s a video that should help if you’re unsure: portioning chicken wings.
- Hot Sauce: I always recommend using Franks Original Hot Sauce because I think it’s the tastiest wing sauce around but you can use any brand you like.
- Blue Cheese Sauce: This recipe will make more blue cheese sauce than you need but leftovers can be used for dipping crudités or served in a steak sandwich (that last one is SO tasty!)
- Cornflour: This is for the Americans, itching to ask what it is in the comments. Cornflour is just cornstarch in the UK. No different, don’t worry.
For the Wings:
- 1kg chicken wings, cut in half at the joint
- 2tsp baking powder
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2tbsp unsalted butter
- 125ml Frank’s Red Hot Original Sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1tsp clear honey
For the Blue Cheese Dip:
- 150ml sour cream
- 100ml mayonnaise
- 1/2tsp garlic powder
- 100g blue cheese
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1tbsp chopped chives to garnish
For the Blue Cheese Sauce:
- Add the mayonnaise, sour cream, garlic, blue cheese and seasoning to a food processor and pulse until blended. Scrape the blue cheese sauce in a bowl and refrigerate until needed.
For the Wings:
- Preheat the oven to 120c, line a baking tray with tin foil and place a wire rack on top.
- Dry the chicken wings with kitchen roll and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle over the baking powder and 1tsp each of salt and pepper. Mix until the wings are evenly coated in the baking powder.
- Place the coated chicken onto the prepared rack and place on the middle shelf of the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Increase the oven heat to 200c and bake until golden brown, turning once during cooking. This should take around 45-50 minutes.
For the Buffalo Sauce:
- While the chicken wings are cooking make the sauce. Combine the butter, hot sauce and honey in a large saucepan set over a medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Mix the cornflour with 1 1/2tsp water and add the slurry to the hot sauce. Mix until the sauce has thickened slightly and set aside until your wings are ready.
- Once the wings are cooked, reheat your hot sauce and add the chicken wings. Toss to coat.
- Serve the wings with the blue cheese sauce and some celery and carrot sticks.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Category: Snacks
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Buffalo Wings, Snacks