These vegan apple pie blondies are thick and chewy hunks of deliciousness. A soft brown sugar blondie studded with cinnamon spiced apples and a good helping of spice, they’re the perfect love child of the traditional apple pie and blondie. Talk about a match made in heaven.
Finally, one for the vegans! I’m so sorry guys, I’ve been slacking off on the plant based recipes for quite some time. I promise I’ll do better from now on. As usual, I’m always open to suggestions. If there’s anything you’d like to see here, please let me know in the comments.
This one is a good one to start with though. I love baking with apples, there’s something about a warm apple cake that just gets me. Give me a plain old apple and I’ll chuck it right back atcha, I find them so very boring. All you do is chew and chew with no pay off, the juice just isn’t worth the squeeze as my mother in law would say. But chop it up, add a sprinkle of cinnamon and fold it through a sugary cake batter and I’m in there like swimwear! Just try and hold me back.
The past few weeks I’ve found myself inundated with apples, I’d come home to find a heaving bag for life on my doorstep with a little note attached. ‘I thought you could do something with these!’ Who knew so many of my friends had apple trees, all of them it seems! Still, it means there’s rarely been an evening without a crumble slathered with custard. My jeans aren’t happy but my tummy sure is! When it got to the point where I just couldn’t crumble another day, I realised I had to come up with some new ideas to get through my orchard worth of apples. And that’s where these vegan apple pie blondies came to life!
A few month ago a wonderful local TikTok sensation Rebbeebee did a video about my little bakery, Pet Lamb, where she offered out a tray of our famous brownies to the person who came up with the best new flavour combination. We had such fun trawling though the suggestions and eventually settled on a banoffee brownie as the big winner, but there was one suggestion that stuck in my mind. Apple pie blondie! I knew I had to do it, but a plant based version. Just to make it a little bit harder for myself.
Now I know, some vegan bakes have a long list of hard to find ingredients. Not everyone knows how to make a flax egg, or where to find arrowroot but these babies have super easy to find ingredients. I bet you already have most of them in the cupboard.
Vegan Apple Pie Blondies – Ingredients:
- Butter – We’re going straight in with a plant based butter here. Nice and easy. I used Flora but you can find loads of varieties in the supermarket fridges. If you can’t find any or just fancy using something different you can use the same amount of solid coconut oil.
- Eggs – In place of eggs we’re using good old fashioned apple sauce. Yep, the kind you’d put on your Sunday dinner. It’s delicious and adds even more apply flavour. Get in!
- Flour – Plain, sifted! That’s it. Nice and easy. If you want to make them gluten free I can recommend Doves gluten free blend, it really is the best GF flour I’ve used for baking.
- Sugar – Soft, light brown. You can use caster but it won’t be as tasty! You want that rich caramelly flavour that you can only get with brown sugar.
- Apples – Any will do. Just raid that fruit bowl! You don’t even have to peel them if you don’t want to!
For the apples:
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1cm chunks
- 1tbsp soft, light brown sugar
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
For the Blondies:
- 200g plant based butter (I used Flora)
- 250g soft, light brown sugar
- 1tsp vanilla paste
- 250g plain flour, sifted
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp salt
- 200g apple sauce
For the apples:
- Place the chopped apples in a large bowl with the sugar and cinnamon and mix to combine. Set aside while you make the blondies.
For the blondies:
- Preheat the oven to 175C and line a 8×8″ square brownie tin with baking parchment, set aside.
- In a saucepan set over a medium low flame, melt the butter. Add the sugar and vanilla paste and mix until melted and smooth.
- In the bowl of the electric mixer add the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt, turn the mixer on low and add the butter and sugar in a slow steady stream. Add in the apple sauce and mix until just combined.
- Fold half of the cinnamon apples through the batter and pour into the prepared tin. Spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the tin and top with the remaining apples.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes until golden and risen.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin before removing and slicing into 16 squares.
The baked blondies can be wrapped in a double layer of cling film and frozen for up to 3 months.
Use pears instead of apples for a delicious alternative.
Blondies will keep for up to 3 days stored in an airtight tin at room temperature. I wouldn’t recommend chilling these blondies as they may dry out.
- Category: Brownies and Bars
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: Vegan, Blondies, Plant based, Apple, Autumn, Apple Pie