Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes – Fluffy chai spiced pumpkin sponges topped with the most delicious creamy, cinnamon dusted frosting. These cupcakes are just Autumn in a mouthful, the only thing you’re missing is a PSL to enjoy along side.
It’s finally here, Autumn is on the horizon and I am pleased as punch. I can feel the air turning crisp, the leaves are changing hue and the shops are placing chunky knits in their windows. In other words, it’s the most wonderful time of the year.
I’m sure I’ve spoken about my basic bitch obsession with all things pumpkin many, many times before. I might as well say it again for the people in the back, I LOVE PUMPKIN SPICE!! You guys get the idea? Good! Because I’ve got tonnes more pumpkin themed recipes coming up very soon, or if you can’t wait I’ve linked a tonne of delicious pumpkin delights at the end of this post.
These Pumpkin Chai Cupcakes are so very special. Fluffy little sponges topped with creamy vanilla frosting and a light dusting of cinnamon. If you’re not eating one of these babies with a steaming hot cup of tea while wearing a cosy jumper are you even eating one?!
This recipe used canned pumpkin which you can find in the American section of most supermarkets or you could make your own following this recipe.
More pumpkin recipes
- Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake
- Overnight Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Granola
- Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
For the cupcakes:
- 140g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 100g dark brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 large, free range eggs
- 240g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp allspice
- 1/4tsp ground cloves
- 250g canned pumpkin puree
For the chai frosting:
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 300g icing sugar
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2tsp allspice
- 1/4stp ground cloves
- Heat your oven to 170C and line 2 12 hole cupcake tray with 16 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In the the bowl of an electric mixer mix the butter and sugars together until light and creamy, around 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time scraping the bowl down between each addition.
- Add the flour, baking powder, soda and spices and mix until just combined. Add the pumpkin puree and mix through until the batter is smooth and orange.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill each cupcake liner to 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes until risen, golden and springy when touched. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to a baking rack to finish cooling.
Make the frosting:
- To make the frosting mix the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and soft. Add the icing sugar, vanilla extract and 1the spices. Turn the mixer on low and gradually increase the speed. Whip for 5 minutes.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled fill a piping bag, fitted with a round nozzle, with the chai frosting and pipe a cute swirl on top of each cake. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
You can freeze the un-iced cupcakes for up to 1 month in a freezer proof container.
To defrost just pop them on your kitchen counter to come up to room temperature and ice as usual.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chai, Cupcakes, Autumn, Chai Latte