These chocolate strawberry sandwich cookies are the perfect summer time treat. Crisp chocolate cookies are sandwiched together with fresh strawberry buttercream and topped with rich and shiny chocolate and freeze dried strawberries.
For the chocolate cookies:
125g butter, softened
80g soft light brown sugar
80g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large, free range egg
180g plain flour
75g cocoa powder
For the strawberry buttercream:
- 4 strawberries pureed in a food processor
- 100g butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 100g dark chocolate, melted
- freeze dried strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and prepare 2 Tala precision baking trays.
- In in large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugars together with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the egg and mix until combined. Add the flour and cocoa powder and mix until just combined. Press the dough together with your hands and pat it into a disk. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30minutes to an hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, sprinkle your worktop with a little cocoa powder then roll out to around 5mm thick. Using a 2 3/4″ Tala fluted cutter cut out 40 circles, re-rolling the scraps as you go.
- Place the circles on the trays and bake for 12-14 minutes. Once baked leave the cookies to cool on the trays for a few minutes, before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat together the softened butter and icing sugar until just combined. Add in the half of the strawberry purée and beat. If it’s still stiff add the remaining puree and beat until smooth and pipeable. Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag and pipe a swirl of icing onto half the cookies then sandwich with the other cookies.
- Drizzle each cookie with melted chocolate and sprinkle with freeze dried strawberries. Leave to set then store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Un-iced cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Chocolate, Strawberry, Cookies