For the Lemon Drizzle Cake:
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 large, free range eggs
- 250g self raising flour
- the zest from 2 large lemons
For the Drizzle:
- juice from 2 lemons (use the lemons you just zested)
- 100g caster sugar
For the Glaze:
- 250g icing sugar
- 2tbsp lemon juice (or water)
- Preheat your oven to 170C and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking parchment.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer mix all of the cake ingredients together until fully combined. Take care not to over mix.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 45-55 minutes until risen and springy to the touch. Allow to cool slightly while you make the drizzle.
- Stir together the sugar and lemon juice, once combined pour over the loaf and leave to cool in the tin for a few hours until the drizzle is set.
- Once cool, run a sharp knife around the edge of your tin to release the cake.
- Make your glaze. In a medium mixing bowl add the icing sugar and starting with 1tbsp of lemon juice (or water) add the liquid to the sugar and mix. Keep adding liquid, a little at a time, until the desired consistency is reached. You want it to be thick and oozey so it slowly trickles down the edges of your cake.
This cake freezes well, just make up to step 5 and wrap in a double layer of cling film.Can be frozen for up to 3 months.
To make a Gluten Free version substitute the self raising flour for your favourite gluten free flour blend.
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Lemon Drizzle, Lemon Cake, Loaf Cake