This wonderful cake is a work of baking alchemy. In place of butter and eggs we have a secret ingredient.. mayonnaise! Yes, you heard that right, mayonnaise. It might sound crazy but this chocolate mayonnaise cake is so moist, light and fluffy you’d never know it contains your favourite condiment.
For the Cake:
- 250g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 200g caster sugar
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1stp vanilla extract
- 250g full fat mayonnaise
- 230ml boiling water
For the frosting:
- 125g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 175g plain chocolate, melted
- 20g cocoa powder
- 250g icing sugar
- 2tbsp whole milk
- Preheat your oven to 175C and grease and line a 9×13″ baking tin.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer mix together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, mayonnaise and boiling water until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking tin and smooth over with a spatular. Bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before lifting the cake out of the tin.
- To make the frosting beat the softened butter in your electric mixer until smooth, pour in the melted chocolate and beat to combine. Add in the cocoa and icing sugar and mix, slowly add the milk until you reach a good spreading consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the chocolate cake and top with sprinkles if you like.
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chocolate Cake, Baking, Mayonnaise, Easy