Hummingbird Cake with Tala

Hummingbird Cake is a glorious cake originating from the Southern states of America. Quite reminiscent of a carrot cake, Hummingbird Cake uses bananas and crushed pineapple instead of carrots giving a wonderful tropical flavour. Paired with a tangy cream cheese frosting and you’ve got something special.

Sponsored by Tala, #AD

With Mothers Day sneaking up on us the lovely dears over at Tala asked me to come up with a failsafe make your mum happy recipe. What could make someone happier than a big old hunk of cake. Hummingbird Cake to be precise.

I’ve discussed by adoration of the Tala brand before and I can promise that my love hasn’t wained even slightly. The quality of the products still blows me away and the prices are amazingly affordable. I can’t recommend them enough.

If your mum is anything like mine she’ll love this cake. Hummingbird cake is like carrot cake on a tropical vacation. Instead of the moistness coming from shredded carrot, this cake gets it’s wonderful texture from crushed pineapple and mashed, overripe bananas. Added crunch comes from chopped, toasted pecans and you’ve got one delicious morsel on your hands. It’s flavour for days son!

To make this Hummingbird cake Tala kindly provided me with some tools which made my baking experience so much easier. Their 20cm sandwich tins barely needed any greasing, the sponges slipped right out with barely any resistance. There’s nothing worse than a stubborn cake tin, believe me!

Now for the best part, icing a cake can be tricky at the best of times. You never feel like you have enough hands. Constantly having to stop to turn the cake stand is just infuriating. That’s where Tala’s cake decorating turntable makes an appearance, using little ball bearings the turntable spins with you allowing essential control when icing a cake. This paired with the Tala straight icing spatula and I had this cake iced in around 10 minutes. No messing around.

The tangy cream cheese frosting finishes this cake off perfectly, topped with a crunchy cluster of pecan nuts.

You can make this cake ahead of time, wrap the individual, un-iced layers in a double layer of cling film and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can even ice this cake straight from frozen. If anything, it makes it a little bit easier. Less crumby.

This cake will keep for up to 5 days if stored in a tin and kept in the fridge. These Tala Cake Tins are perfect for the job, and they look extra pretty to boot.

Again, massive thanks so Tala for sponsoring this post. I genuinely can’t sing their praises highly enough. I will continue to use Tala brand bake wear forever, I can’t ever see my heart straying from this wonderful brand. As long as they keep coming up with fantastic kitchen equipment, I’ll keep using it.

Hummingbird Cake with Tala

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:

• 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 150g full fat cream cheese
  • 450g icing sugar
  • 1tbsp whole milk
  • 1tsp vanilla extract
  • chopped pecans to decorate

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 175C and grease and line 3 9″ sandwich tins.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer add the sugar, eggs, oil, banana and cinnamon and beat together until all of the ingredients are well incorporated.  Add the flour and baking powder and mix until the flour just about disappears. Stir the chopped pecans and crushed pineapple by hand until evenly distributed.
  3. Pour the batter into your prepared tins and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the sponge comes out clean.  Allow the cakes to cool in their tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
  4. To make the frosting using a freestanding mixer or a hand whisk beat the butter and cream cheese together in a large bowl until light and creamy. Add the icing sugar, vanilla and milk. Beat on low speed for around 30 seconds, then switch to high speed and beat for 2 minutes.
  5. When the cakes are cold, pop one layer onto a cake stand and spread with a thick layer of the cream cheese frosting, top with another layer and repeat. When you get to the top layer spread the frosting down the sides of the cake, covering all of the layers.  Swirl your palette knife around the frosting to create a rustic look. Top with chopped pecans.

Notes

The unfrosted cake layers can be wrapped in cling film and frozen for up to 3 month. This cake will last for up to 3 days at room temperature or 5 days if kept in a tin in the fridge.

1. March 17, 2020 / 9:59 am

Oh my word – this looks tasty as!

2. March 17, 2020 / 1:21 pm

Oh WOW! That cake looks amazing and I bet it tastes divine! Perfect to enjoy a slice with a good cup of tea! 🙂 Sim x

3. March 17, 2020 / 2:19 pm

Beautiful cake and delicious recipe! I’m excited to make this for my family.

4. March 17, 2020 / 2:26 pm

OK you totally had me at cake this looks INCREDIBLE! Please can I come over and have a bite or two or maybe a whole slice?

5. March 17, 2020 / 4:12 pm

This sounds amazing! Sadly my mum is no longer around anymore but she was an amazing baker. Unfortunately, I didn’t inherit her talent..haha! But I’ve been wanting to try my hand at baking for a few years now as it always reminds me of her so maybe this is the perfect thing to do in her memory this upcoming Mothers Day

6. March 17, 2020 / 7:55 pm

Wow this looks absolutely incredible and from the recipe it sounds like it will taste amazing too! I must confess I had not heard of this cake before but now I am desperate to give it a try!

7. Lesli Schwartz
    March 17, 2020 / 8:02 pm

Never heard of hummingbird cake! But, I just love all of the ingredients in this cake! Will be trying. YUM!

8. March 18, 2020 / 1:56 am

This cake looks truly amazing and I’m so excited to make it for my family!

9. March 18, 2020 / 9:35 am

I love a hummingbird cake – I’d never actually tried one until last year – and this one looks absolutely delicious.

10. March 18, 2020 / 10:17 am

Love this Recipe and often ordered it at the cafe but never made it, this is my chance to try out your recipe, I love using Tala products as well, makes baking so much easier

11. March 18, 2020 / 12:06 pm

I love the tropical flavors in a Hummingbird cake paired with a velvety smooth cream cheese frosting. This cake looks loaded with all the right flavors!

12. March 19, 2020 / 12:42 am

This cake looks and sounds delicious, as a fan of carrot cake I just know that I would adore this, now I just need to work out how to tweak the recipe to make it work gluten free.

• March 19, 2020 / 7:10 am

Hi Laura, just replace the flour with Doves gluten free flour blend. It’s that simple 🙂

13. Jere Cassidy
    March 19, 2020 / 12:47 am

It’s been years since I made a hummingbird cake they are truly delicious. I love you can freeze this and that is my plan to make it now and serve it on Mother’s Day.

14. March 19, 2020 / 4:43 pm

Yummy Katie this is one of my fav cakes and I have pinned it to try later on. With all the food shortages I can’t get flour and eggs otherwise I would be baking away. Sounds so soft and full of flavour

15. March 20, 2020 / 9:39 pm

Oh my this sounds absolutely delicious, thank you so much for sharing the recipe! I have never heard of hummingbird cake before but the flavours sound right up my street!

16. March 21, 2020 / 9:09 pm

I love, love, love hummingbird cake and yours looks AMAZING! Beautiful pictures. I need to make one super, super soon. Thank you so much for the wonderful inspiration dear Katie ❤️

17. March 23, 2020 / 3:02 am

Hummingbird cake is my favourite! I haven’t made one in so long, this recipe has reminded me what I am missing! I must make this the next time I have bananas that need using up!

18. Alexis
    March 23, 2020 / 2:11 pm

I love baking hummingbird cakes, they are so much fun! Your recipe looks amazing and I love the photos.

19. Jacque Hastert
    March 23, 2020 / 4:09 pm

This cake is one of my favorites! We make this every spring and my family eats it all in one day, usually gone in minutes.

20. March 24, 2020 / 4:50 pm

I can’t stand bananas unless they are in desserts like this! Oh my this cake looks absolutely delicious! Hummingbird cake is one of my favorite desserts!