Chocolate and orange are a match made in heaven, they were born to be together. Their unification is complete in this richly decedent chocolate orange bundt cake dripping with a sticky chocolate orange ganache.
- 100g cocoa powder
- 150ml strong, black coffee
- Juice from 4 large oranges (you need around 150ml of juice)
- Zest from 2 large oranges
- 250g unsalted butter
- 200g light brown sugar
- 225g caster sugar
- 250g plain flour, sifted
- 1 1/4tsp baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large, free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate Ganache Icing:
- 200g plain chocolate chips
- 100ml double cream
- zest of 1 large orange
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Liberally butter your bundt cake pan then dust with cocoa powder, knocking out excess. Or use a good quality cake release (I use one from Lakeland)
- In a saucepan over a medium heat stir the coffee, orange juice, zest, vanilla and butter until the butter is melted, then whisk in the cocoa powder taking care to whisk our any lumps. Remove from heat and add in the sugars and stir until everything is combined. Pop to one side.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and the salt. Set aside
- In another bowl whisk the eggs up then pour a little drop of the chocolate mixture into the bowl and whisk it up, this is to temper the eggs. Do this two more times before adding the egg mixture to the chocolate and whisking until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Pour the batter into your prepared bundt cake pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, test with a cake skewer. If it comes out clean, your cake is ready.
- Allow to cool completely in the tin, around 2hrs. Run the blade of a round tip knife around the edge of the cooled cake to help release it from the pan, invert over a cooling rack.
- To make the chocolate orange ganache heat the cream in a small saucepan, over a medium heat until just before boiling. (do not let the cream come to the boil) Pop your chocolate chips in a bowl and pour over the hot cream, set aside for a few minutes then stir until smooth. Stir in the orange zest then pour, liberally over the cake.
This cake will last for up to 3 days if stored in an airtight tin.
Cake can be frozen for up to 3 months without the ganache. Double wrap in clingfilm to freeze and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
- Category: Baking
Keywords: Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake, Chocolate, Orange, Bundt Cake, Baking, Cakes, Ganache