For the caramelised pears:
- 4 conference pears
- 60g unsalted butter
- 50g light brown sugar
For the cake:
- 125g unsalted butter
- 75g light brown sugar
- 125ml water
- 175g golden syrup
- 250g plain flour
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tbsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- extra golden syrup for drizzling
- Peal and quarter the pears and put to one side. Melt the butter and sugar together in a large, heavy bottomed frying pan over a low heat. Add the pears to the pan and simmer in the caramelised butter for 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove the pears to a plate to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 140C and grease and line a 21x29cm rectangular pan with baking parchment.
- In a large saucepan melt the butter, sugar, water and syrup together over a low heat. Once melted increase the heat to high and bring to the boil. Once boiled remove from the heat and stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices. The batter will be very thick and sticky. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread in an even layer. Poke the pears into the top, gently pushing them into the batter.
- Bake for 1hr or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before using the overhanging baking parchment to lift it onto a wire cooling rack to finish cooling.
- To serve dust with some icing sugar and drizzle with a little extra golden syrup.
- This cake is best eaten on the day it’s made.
- Eat warm from the oven with a scoop of ice cream and drizzled with golden syrup for a delicious treat.
Keywords: Cake, Ginger, Pears, Slice, Cinnamon, Autumn, Winter