Adapted from Sainsbury’s Magazine
For the soup:
- 50g butter
- 1 large, white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- a few sprigs of mint
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 900g frozen peas
For the halloumi croutons:
- 1 block of halloumi cut into 1” cubes
- Oil for frying
- Melt the butter in a pan. Add the onion, garlic and a few sprigs of mint. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock and three-quarters of the frozen peas, cover and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes before liquidising with a handheld blender or leave to cool for 10 minutes and transfer to a table top blender.
- To make the halloumi croutons heat 1tbsp oil in a large frying pan. Once hot add the halloumi cubes and fry, turning frequently, until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with a few sheets of kitchen towels.
- Reheat the soup, stirring in the rest of the bag of peas. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve the soup piping hot, adding a swirl of crème fraîche, mint leaves, the halloumi croutons and a drizzle of oil to each serving.
This soup can easily be made vegan by leaving out the halloumi croutons and using a vegan crème fraîche substitute.
Want to make it even more decadent, add a hand-full of shredded ham hock to the bottom of each bowl before pouring in the soup.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
Keywords: Soup, Vegetarian, Pea, Mint, Halloumi