Is it even possible to make French Toast better? I’m here to tell you yes, yes it is! These cinnamon french toast sticks are the perfect breakfast food. More surface area equals more sugary cinnamony goodness in every bite. Plus making things finger-shaped making it infinitely more fun.
Is there a better meal than brunch?! God bless that person who thought, you know what would make breakfast better, making it later and making it bigger… and maybe adding booze. If I had a time machine I’d Marty McFly my butt back in time and kiss that person square on the lips because brunch, my friends, is awesome. You know what else is awesome? These cinnamon french toast sticks. Double high five!
I am not a morning person, I’ve made light of my usual breakfast choices on here many times before. A cup of tea and a quick biscuit is all I’ll manage on a work day, not because I’m in a rush, because I’m too lazy to feed myself. One day I might grow into a real adult, one day…
On a weekend however, something takes over. I roll out of bed, pad my way to the kitchen, stick on a record and start making something delicious. It’s a little bit of Me time, Kris is still sleeping and the cats are usually off bothering him so it’s just me, my thoughts, and brunch.
These cinnamon french toast sticks do require a little forethought, the bread needs to be nice and stale or the sticks won’t hold their shape when cooked. I chopped my brioche into slices before I went to bed and covered it with a loose tea towel. If you forget, or don’t have the time, you can just make normal french toast. Simply slice the loaf into 1″ slices, dip into the eggy wash as usual and fry for an extra few minutes on each side.
I rolled my finished sticks in a mixture of cinnamon and caster sugar which gives quite a fine coating, if you fancy something a bit crunchier, use granulated sugar.Print
Is it even possible to make French Toast better? I’m here to tell you yes, yes it is! These cinnamon french toast sticks are the perfect breakfast food
For the Cinnamon French Toast Sticks:
- 1 loaf brioche bread cut into 1” thick slices, then into thirds to make fingers
- 4 large, free range eggs
- 150ml milk
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
For the cinnamon sugar:
- 100g caster sugar
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- berries and maple syrup to serve
- In a large, non-stick frying pan melt a knob of butter over a medium heat.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon in a medium sized dish and set aside. In another dish, stir together the sugar and cinnamon until combined and set aside.
- Drop the brioche fingers into the eggy wash and make sure each piece is coated in the mix. Place around 5-6 fingers in the hot frying pan (depending on the size of your pan, don’t overcrowd) and cook for around 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove the fingers from the frying pan and immediately roll in the cinnamon sugar. Pile onto a plate and serve with berries, chopped nuts and drenched in maple syrup.
- Category: Breakfast