These caramelly cookies are studded with kernels of toffee popcorn and drizzled with chocolate making them the best cookies in the whole wide world! I may be bias, but I swear these toffee popcorn cookies are the bomb. Why not try them for yourselves and let me know what you think.
So, the Great British Bake Off started with a bang last week. I was one of those people, you know, the ones that said they’d never watch the show again after their migration from the BBC to C4. I scoffed at the idea of Noel and Sandy taking the place of the beloved Mel and Sue but I secretly admired Prue Leith becoming the new Mary Berry. I mean, what food blogger hasn’t dreamed of taking a course at Leith’s School of Food and Wine? I wasn’t banking on Kris staying loyal to the show, he made me watch the first episode of the new format and guess what, I loved it! They kept everything the same, Noel and Sandy are hilarious and Prue is my new dream Grandma. For the first time in years I found myself excited for the new season.
The first week bucked with tradition and began with biscuit week! Who was expecting that? I thoroughly enjoyed watching the bakers wrestle with gingerbread sculptures and attempt one of my favourite childhood snacks, Wagon Wheels. The only thing missing was, biscuits. I forgot to bake anything for the occasion, big mistake! I was forced to rummage through the cupboard and came up with a solitary Hob Nob. Sad times. This week I shall not be caught short, I found a bag of toffee popcorn and gathered together a few more ingredients and these toffee popcorn cookies emerged from my oven. Tonight I shall be watching the Bake Off in style.
These cookies are sooooo good. I know say it every time, and I mean it every time but damn! These babies are indulgent. The brown sugar lends a deep, caramel taste to the cookie which is taken to the next level by kernels of toffee popcorn. By all means, you can skip the chocolate drizzle, but why the hell would you? It takes these little beauties to the next level.
Wanna know the best thing? You don’t need to chill the dough. That’s right, you can have warm cookies in no time at all. Oh hell yes!
So, who’s your favourite in this years GBBO lineup? I’m routing for Anthony but I have Ruby in the sweepstakes. Fingers crossed!Print
The best thing about these cookies is you don’t have to chill the dough so you can be eating cookies in no time at all!
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 300g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100g toffee popcorn
- 150g plain chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 175°C and line two cookie sheets with baking parchment.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until well combined, light and fluffy. Add the beaten egg and mix again.
- Tip in the flour, baking powder, half the popcorn and a pinch of salt and mix together until everything is just combined.
- Roll heaped tablespoons of the dough into balls and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Give each cookie a little press to flatten it out a little bit and press the remaining 50g of popcorn into each ball. Bake the cookies for 13 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool slightly on the tray before transferring to a rack to finish cooling.
- Break the chocolate up into small pieces and melt in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water (make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water), then drizzle over the cookies. Leave the chocolate to set and enjoy.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 13 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: Popcorn, Cookies, Chocolate