These caramel apple cupcakes are the perfect embodiment of Autumn. A sticky maple sponge filled with cinnamon spiced apples and topped with a caramel drizzled maple buttercream.
- For the cupcakes:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 300g self-raising flour
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 225g light brown sugar
- 120ml maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 170g grated apples (around 3 medium apples)
For the frosting:
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 350g icing sugar
- 2tbsp maple syrup
- 2tbsp whole milk
- Preheat oven to 175°C and line a 12 hole cupcake tray with paper cases.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating well between each addition followed by the flour, cinnamon and maple syrup, mix until all the ingredients are combined. Stir through the grated apple.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill each cupcake liner to 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes until risen and springy when touched. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to a baking rack to finish cooling.
- To make the frosting mix the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and soft. Add the icing sugar, syrup and milk. Turn the mixer on low and gradually increase the speed. Whip for 5 minutes, if the frosting looks too stiff add a splash more milk until you reach a nice piping consistency.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled fill a piping bag, fitted with an open star nozzle with the maple syrup frosting and pipe each cupcake with a swirl. Drizzle each cake with some caramel sauce and chopped toffee pieces.
- The un-iced cupcakes freeze perfectly for up to 3 months. Simply remove them from the freezer, allow to defrost at room temperature for a few hours then frost as normal.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: Cupcakes, Apple, Toffee Apple, Caramel Apple, Cake