Can I share something with you guys? I think I prefer waffles to pancakes! I hope you’re clutching your chest in horror, some of you might even have fainted in shock. OK, I might be a little dramatic here but I take breakfast food very seriously. Now, don’t think I’ve gone and shunned pancakes, I still love me a fluffy stack but when I’m making breakfast at home, I’ll always choose waffles.
Strangely enough, I hardy ever share waffle recipes here. I think I’m just in too much of a rush to eat the crispy little suckers, my camera is the furthest thing from my mind when the maple syrup is pouring. I promise that the waffle drought on Katiecakes ends today. And what a way to start than with these overnight lemon and strawberry waffles.
Wanna hear something ridiculous? I actually own two waffle irons. One square and one round. You’d be fair in thinking I’m a ludicrous human being, that is until I plugged my square waffle iron in and the bloody thing tripped the electric in my house. Uh oh. Suddenly the girl with two waffle irons is a genius. A genius with no lights, but still…
I absolutely love these waffles, it’s my go to recipe. Not only because it’s utterly delicious but you can prepare the batter the night before. That’s right, you’re one step closer to living your best life and eating waffles before you’ve even rubbed the sleep from your eyes. I’ve included lemon zest in the batter here but you can just as easily leave it out of both the batter and the cream and have vanilla waffles. No harm no foul.
What’s your favourite breakfast treat, or if you love waffles as much as me, how do you like em? Let me live through you!
These waffles have a batter which can be made the night before. So with just a tiny bit of prep you can go to bed happy knowing you’ll have waffles on the table in no time come morning.
For the Waffles:
- 500ml whole milk
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 60g butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2tbsp lemon zest
- fresh strawberries, sliced
- maple syrup or powder sugar, for serving
For the Lemon Cream:
- 125g mascarpone
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 50ml double cream
- Make the waffle batter the night before, heat the milk and butter together over a low heat until melted and warm. If it gets too hot allow the milk mixture to cool to just warm or you’ll kill the yeast. Combine the milk, butter, yeast, salt, vanilla extract and flour in a large bowl and mix together. Cover the bowl with cling film and let it sit overnight at room temperature.
- When you’re ready to make the waffles preheat your waffle iron. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, baking soda and lemon zest. Mix the egg mixture into the batter.
- Cook the waffles according to your waffle iron’s instructions and serve topped with lemon cream, strawberries, and maple syrup.
If you have any leftover waffles (I know, what’s that like?) you can freeze them and pop them in the toaster directly from the freezer. Hey presto, instant waffles.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus resting
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: Lemon, Waffles, Strawberry, Breakfast, Brunch