These lemon meringue cupcakes are light and fluffy lemon sponges filled with a tart and creamy lemon curd and finished off with a perfect swirl of toasted meringue. Like lemon meringue pie in a cupcake, just perfect.
- 175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 175g light brown sugar
- 3 large, free range eggs
- 175g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 50ml whole milk
- zest of 1 lemon
- jar of best quality lemon curd
For the Meringue:
- 3 large egg whites at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 100g caster sugar
- Heat your oven to 170C and line a 12 hole cupcake tray with liners. Set aside.
- The the bowl of an electric mixer whip the butter lemon zest and sugar together till light and creamy, around 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time mixing between each addition. Add half the flour and mix, add the milk followed by the rest of the flour and the baking powder. Mix until just combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill each cupcake liner to 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes until risen and springy when touched. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to a baking rack to finish cooling.
- Once cooled hollow out the center of each cupcake using an apple corer or a sharp knife. Fill each hollow with lemon curd and set aside while you make the meringue.
- To make the meringue: using a very clean work bowl, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Add the salt. Gradually add the sugar spoon full at a time, increasing the whipping speed and continuing to whip until the mixture is light and fluffy, and stiff peaks form.
- Pipe a swirl of meringue onto each cupcake, then toast the meringue with a cook’s torch until golden brown. These cupcakes are best eaten on the day they are made.
If you don’t have a cooks blowtorch you can toast the meringue under the grill. Just make sure you keep your eyes on them as they burn super quick. You’ll need no more than 30 seconds under a heated grill.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: Lemon Meringue, Cupcakes, Pie, Baking