These deliciously zingy, crumbly bars are to die for. Bright and tangy lemon curd sandwiched between a buttery biscuit base and a nutty, oaty crumble layer. Simply brew up a pot of Earl Grey and enjoy.
For the biscuit base:
- 170g unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 285g plain flour
- 75g caster sugar
- 1/2tsp salt
- 1/2tsp baking powder
- 1 large free range egg
- 1 lemon, zested
For the crumble layer:
- 50g unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 20g demerera sugar
- 25g rolled oats
- 25g flaked almonds
- 25g walnuts, chopped
- 1 jar of best quality lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 175°C, grease and line a 22cm square tin with baking parchment. In a food processor, pulse together the butter and flour until soft crumbs form. Stir in the caster sugar and salt, then remove 1 /3 of the mixture and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the baking powder, egg and lemon zest to the remaining mixture in the food processor and continue to pulse until combined. Tip into the baking tin and press down to form an even layer. Bake for 15 minutes, then allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the demerara sugar, oats and nuts to the reserved mixture with the butter and add 1tbsp water. Using your fingers rub the butter into the dry mixture until it’s all nice and chunky.
- Spread the lemon curd over the biscuit base, then top with the crumble mixture. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Remove and allow to cool completely in the tin.
- Remove from the tin and slice into bars.
These bars last for up to 4 days if kept in a air tight tin.
If lemon curd isn’t your thing, try substituting with a different flavoured curd, or jam.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: British