Moist, zingy and bright. This grapefruit olive oil cake is a delicious slice of sunshine on a plate. Dip any left over candied grapefruit slices in chocolate for a delicious snack.
For the Candied Grapefruit :
- 1 small grapefruit, sliced into rounds
- 150g caster sugar
- 150ml water
For the Cake:
- 200g caster sugar
- 225g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 175ml olive oil
- 55g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 grapefruit, zested and juiced
- 4 large, free range eggs
- 250ml soured cream
For the Glaze:
- 300g icing sugar
- 2–3tbsp of the grapefruit juice from above
- First make your candied grapefruit. Fill a large bowl with cold water and a handful of ice cubes and set aside. Fill a large saucepan 3/4 with water and bring to the boil. Once at a rolling boil lower in the grapefruit slices and simmer for 1 minute. Remove the slices to the ice water to cool down.
- In the same (empty) pan add the 150ml water and sugar and bring to a simmer, stir until the sugar has dissolved. Place the boiled grapefruit slices into the sugar water and simmer for 1 hour. Place each slice on a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 175C and grease and line a loaf tin.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine the sugar and grapefruit zest, mix until fragrant. While the motor is still running on the lowest speed add in the melted butter, olive oil, eggs and soured cream. Add in the flour and baking powder and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin before removing to a wire rack with a sheet of baking paper underneath.
- To make the glaze combine the icing sugar with the grapefruit juice in a large bowl. Add the juice a little at a time until you get a thick, pourable consistency. If it’s too thick, add a little more juice. If it’s too thin, add a little more icing sugar.
- Pour the glaze over the cake, allow to set for 10 minutes then decorate with the candied grapefruit slices.
Feel free to substitute the grapefruit for any citrus fruit you may like.
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: British