Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

I was glancing at my blog archives the other day and I realised, I’ve never shared a recipe for a basic chocolate cupcakes, or even a vanilla one for that matter.  Basic recipes are the building blocks of baking, once you’ve mastered a simple chocolate cupcake, you can customise it to your hearts content. Here I’m sharing the recipe for my favourite, super moist and delicious, chocolate cupcake.

Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

These babies are people pleasers. Chocolate cake can often be dry and a bit uninspired, but this one is so light and moist you’ll be going back for seconds, even thirds.  Once you’ve got this one down. you can add in a little peppermint extract for a chocolate mint cake or maybe grated orange zest for a nice chocolate orange zing. The world is your oyster.

Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

So guys and girls, are there any more basic recipes you’d like to see here? I’d love to whip up some more simple bakes.

Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

*I wholeheartedly apologise for using the word moist, I know I know. I hate it too.

Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

• 250g unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 350g plain chocolate, melted
  • 20g cocoa powder
  • 500g icing sugar
  • 50-75ml whole milk

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 175°C and line a 12 hole cupcake tray with liners.
  2. Sift all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer add the egg, buttermilk, sunflower oil and vanilla and mix together. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing all the time. Add the water and mix to a thin batter.
  3. Fill each cupcake liner 1/2 way with the chocolate batter and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool in the tray for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Make your frosting while the cakes are cooling.
  4. Beat the softened butter in your electric mixer until smooth, pour in the melted chocolate and beat to combine. Add in the cocoa and icing sugar and mix, slowly add the milk until you reach a good piping consistency. (Not too stiff, not too soft). You may not need all of the milk.
  5. Using a large closed star nozzle pipe a swirl of buttercream onto each cooled cupcake. Cakes can be kept in an airtight tin for up to 3 days.

Notes

These cupcakes are easily adapted. Use them as a base for any chocolate cupcake.

1. Nelly Elliott
    November 22, 2017 / 8:24 am

Bookmarking this! I am not a lover of chocolate cake as it can be such a disappointment – always go for a brownie over a chocolate cake. BUT Zoe loves chocolate cake, so might need to customise these babies for her upcoming birthday! 🙂

2. Katie Jane Online
    November 22, 2017 / 8:39 am

I've saved this recipe to try later, I often find cupcakes hard to make. (Laughing at your moist disclaimer!) Katie x

3. Laura
    November 22, 2017 / 3:12 pm

Ohh these look so yummy! Need to keep the recipe for future use – I think these would be a lovely addition to Christmas gift too! xxLaura // Middle of Adventure

4. Helen J
    November 22, 2017 / 4:26 pm

I am so hungry right now and these look so delicious! I need to make these soon 🙂

5. Samantha Rickelton
    November 22, 2017 / 5:16 pm

These look divine Katie and pretty easy to make too. I bet the kids would love these x

6. Beth @ BethinaBox.com
    November 22, 2017 / 8:19 pm

Oh I love chocolate cake! These look beautiful… I agree, you have no chance at baking something complex if you haven't got the basics! 🙂

7. Our bucket List Lives
    November 22, 2017 / 8:36 pm

Oooo these sound fab. I love the idea of adding grated orange. I had a really dry chocolate cupcake the other day…I think they need your recipe

8. Jasmin N
    November 22, 2017 / 8:56 pm

Holy crap I’m going to save this one for later try! I’ve perfected my own cupcake recipe but can’t wait to try out these. They sound amazing😍

9. Newcastle Family Life
    November 22, 2017 / 9:04 pm

These look and sound amazing, I will have to give these a try with my girls as they love baking xx

10. Chaus Adventure
    November 22, 2017 / 9:36 pm

You at me at super moist cupcake! This looks so good! I’ll be sure to try it for my Christmas party!! http://www.chausadventure.com

11. jennifuchs
    November 22, 2017 / 9:55 pm

These look amazing! I make GF choc cupcakes, but I usually do them with peanut butter frosting. I'll try your choc frosting next time!

12. EuroAsia Fashion By Kintan
    November 23, 2017 / 8:16 am

OMG….these looks so damn delicious and great recipe. Its perfect also for Xmas party with friends or family. Thanks for sharing. Kintan XO,http://kintanfashion.blogspot.com

13. caitylis
    November 23, 2017 / 9:45 am

Oh my god… actually dribbling at these photos! Every time I make cupcakes they are a utter mess (yummy but a mess) I’m not one for making them look pretty I just wanna stuff them in my gob!Much love, Caitylis x x

14. Corinna
    November 23, 2017 / 4:24 pm

Oh my….this looks amazing, so good! I love sweets! Tried to go no-sugar once and failed terribly! :Dhttp://wingsaregolden.com

15. Michelle Kellogg
    November 24, 2017 / 3:43 pm

Those look really delicious! I haven't had cupcakes in eons! Might have to try this recipe:)

16. Stella Olojola
    November 24, 2017 / 5:56 pm

What yummy looking cakes. Am so hungry just looking at them.

17. ANOSA
    November 26, 2017 / 4:19 pm

I have been checking recipes for cupcakes and this is really perfect. I will try and hopefully make it just like yours. Drooling over the picture and wishing I can also have the same output when I bake.

18. Munchies and Munchkins
    November 28, 2017 / 10:20 am

Oh I have just spent the weekend revamping my own chocolate cupcake recipe! These look amazing and so moist! Perfect