These chickpea chilli burgers are some of the best veggie burgers I’ve ever had. Kinda like a cross between falafel and a burger, you can style them up however you like.
- 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp hot paprika
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1 small bunch coriander, chopped
- 1 large, free range egg
- 80g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- salt and pepper
- 4 brioche buns, toasted
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 little gem lettuce
- 4tbsp hummus
- 4tbsp red coleslaw
- 4 slices of cheese
- Drizzle of chilli sauce
- Place the chickpeas, cumin, paprika, chilli, half the coriander, the egg and some seasoning into the bowl of a food processor and whizz up to a chunky paste. Scrape into a bowl and mix in the breadcrumbs and the diced onions. Form into four burger patties and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until hot then turn the heat down to medium low. Fry the burgers for 5 minutes on each side. To serve, slather a tbsp of hummus on the bottom bun, top with a leaf of lettuce followed by the burger, slice of cheese, tbsp of coleslaw and a drizzle of chilli sauce. Sprinkle with the left over coriander and sandwich with the top bun.
Swap out any of the toppings for your favourite burger toppings.
- Category: Vegetarian