I’m always on the search for a good, simple weeknight meal that can be knocked up in less than no time. This Stove Top Vegetarian Lasagna certainly falls into that category, you’ll never believe how easy it is to make. You’ll have this piping hot dish on the table in less than 40 minutes and feel super smug at the mountains of veg hidden within the folds of pasta. The best thing about this dish, is it’s cooked entirely on the hob. No baking for hours on end, just 30 minutes on the gas burner and you’re good to go. What a treat!
I absolutely love making this lasagna, it’s such an undemanding dish and can be customised with whatever veg you have lying around. My favourites are mushroom, peppers, courgettes and aubergine.
If, like me, you have a bit of a weakness for crispy cheese, you can pop the lasagna under the grill for a few minutes before serving but it’s completely up to yourself. There’s no need to turn the oven on at all. Perfect for when the nights get warmer and the thought of switching on the oven fills you with dread.Print
I’m always on the search for a good, simple weeknight meal that can be knocked up in less than no time. This Stove Top Vegetarian Lasagna certainly falls into that category, you’ll never believe how easy it is to make.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 250g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 aubergine, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2tsp dried basil
- 1/2tsp oregano
- 5 lasagna sheets
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes with herbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 125g ricotta cheese
- 150g mozzarella
- 25g Parmesan, grated
- In a large casserole dish with a lid, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, pepper, courgette, mushrooms and aubergine, and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, salt and pepper.
- Snap the lasagna sheets into large pieces and fit them into the casserole dish, overlapping and piling them up a bit. Pour tomatoes over the pasta sheets making sure all the pasta is covered with the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium and cover the dish with a lid. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid and dot ricotta cheese around the dish, cover with torn chunks of mozzarella and replace the lid and cook for a further 5 minutes until the cheese has melted. If you like a crispy top pop the dish under a preheated grill for 5 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and delicious. Serve piping hot with grated Parmesan cheese.
Use any veg you have hanging around in your fridge.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Vegetarian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: One Pot Meals, Lasagna, Vegetarian Lasagna, Vegetarian, Midweek Meal