Banana bread is one of life’s great pleasures. I love everything about this simple little loaf cake, the intoxicating fug it creates while baking is enough to make me weak at the knees.
- 50g (1/4cup) Butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 60ml (1/4cup) Sunflower oil
- 3 Over ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 150g (3/4cup) Light brown sugar
- 1 Large, free range egg
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 125g (1cup) Self raising flour
- 60g (1/2cup) Cocoa powder
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 1/2tsp Salt
- 150g (1cup) Chocolate Chips
- Preheat your oven to 175C and grease a loaf tin and line with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl mix together your mashed bananas, melted butter, oil, sugar, egg and vanilla extract until combined. Sift your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt over the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Stir through 3/4 of the chocolate chips and pour the batter into the prepared tin. Sprinkle over the remaining chocolate chips and bake for 60 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out mostly clean. Remember there are chocolate chips in there so you may have to test the cake in a few places to ensure you’re not just hitting melted chocolate.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack to finish cooling. Slice while still warm and sticky, enjoy and try not to eat the whole thing.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1hr
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Banana Bread, Chocolate, Baking, Cakes, Banana