Drizzle cake is my absolute favourite cake in the world. Normally you attribute this style of loaf with lemon but it lends itself perfectly to any citrus fruit.
For the cake:
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 250g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 250g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp orange zest from 2 oranges
For the drizzle:
- juice from 1 orange
- 150g caster sugar
- Preheat your oven to 170C and grease and line a 2lb loaf tin.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer mix all of the cake ingredients together untill fully combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 45-55 minutes until risen and springy to the touch. Allow to cool while you make the drizzle.
- Stir together the sugar and orange juice, once combined pour over the loaf and leave to cool in the tin for 2 hours or overnight.
- Once cool, use a sharp knife to release the edged of the cake from the tin and remove. Slice and enjoy.
You can use any citrus fruit in place of the orange. Lime, lemon or a mix of all three work perfectly.
- Category: Cakes
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: Orange, Drizzle, Cake, Loaf, Baking