I love a cup of green tea, the health benefits are off the charts. It helps with bloating, is packed with antioxidants, boosts metabolism and lowers cholesterol. Matcha is the heavy hitting big brother of a normal cup of green tea, and boy is it delicious.
For the cupcakes:
- 175g (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 175g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175g (1.5 cups) self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 50ml whole milk
- 1 jar of good quality raspberry jam
For the frosting:
- 125g (1/2 cup) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 250g (2 cups) icing sugar
- 1/2tbsp matcha green tea powder
- 2tbsp whole milk
- freeze dried raspberries to decorate
- green tea pocky cut in thirds to decorate
- Heat your oven to 170C and line a 12 hole cupcake tray with liners. Set aside.
- The the bowl of an electric mixer whip the butter and sugar together till light and creamy, around 3-5 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time mixing between each addition. Add half the flour and mix, add the milk followed by the rest of the flour, the baking powder and matcha powder. Mix till combined the mix in the vanilla extract.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill each cupcake liner to 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes until risen and springy when touched. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to a baking rack to finish cooling.
- To make the frosting first mix the butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and soft. Add the icing sugar, matcha powder and the milk. Turn the mixer on low and gradually increase the speed. Whip for 5 minutes, if the frosting looks too stiff add a touch more milk until you reach a nice piping consistency.
- One the cupcakes have cooled take an apple corer or a small knife and hollow out the center of each cupcake and fill with raspberry jam. Fill a piping bag, fitted with an open star nozzle, with the matcha frosting and pipe a cute swirl on each cake. Sprinkle with the freeze fried raspberries and top with 2 pieces of the pocky.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: Cupcakes, Raspberry, Green Tea, Matcha, Baking