Rum and raisin is one of those flavours that comes with age, much like olives and blue cheese. Things you physically couldn’t let near your mouth as a child are relished as an adult. I remember a time I despised all three of these things, now I’m dangerously close to getting gout from over indulgence. Especially when you take a once avoided flavour and turn it into rum and raisin cupcakes!
So what do I do, I take some raisins that I’ve let soak in spiced rum overnight and ram ’em in some fluffy cupcakes. Who can’t get behind this? You’d have to be some kind of monster to refuse such a treat. Remember this is a no kids allowed treat, unless you’re anything like my mother who’d dip my dummy in whiskey so I’d sleep soundly. But hey, I turned out OK *glances over at my heaving booze trolley*.Print
Rum and raisin is one of those flavours that comes with age, much like olives and blue cheese. Things you physically couldn’t let near your mouth as a child are relished as an adult. I remember a time I despised all three of these things, now I’m dangerously close to getting gout from over indulgence.
For the cupcakes:
- 200g raisins
- 100ml spiced rum
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 150g light brown sugar
- 4 large free range eggs
- 350g self raising flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 3tbsp whole milk
For the frosting:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 500g icing sugar
- 2tbsp spiced rum
- 2-3tbsp whole milk
- The night before you want to make you cupcakes pop the raisins in a bowl and cover with the rum. Leave to infuse overnight.
- Preheat oven to 170C and line two cupcake trays with 14 cases (you may have slightly more or less batter)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, around five minutes mixing should do it. slowly beat in the eggs, mixing well after each addition. Add the flour and baking powder to the bowl and mix carefully till combined followed by the raisins, any remaining rum and the milk. Stir through till evenly distributed.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill each cupcake case to 2/3 full and bake for 22 minutes, till golden on top and springy to the touch. Allow to cool in the tins for five minutes before transferring to a rack.
- Once cool beat together the icing sugar, butter and rum. Add the milk a tablespoon at a time until you reach a good piping consistency. Fill a piping bag with a closed star nozzle and pipe a swirl atop each cake. Top wth sprinkles and enjoy.
Keywords: Cupcakes, Rum and Raisin, Festive, Christmas, Baking, Cake