It’s finally October! Autumn is my favourite time of year, both sartorially and culinary. The month of cosy jumpers without the need for a coat, cute ankle boots with thick black tights and wide brimmed hats. I love it. Plus it means that you can start putting pumpkin in everything. I recommend you start your yearly pumpkin journey with these pumpkin pie bars.
From drinks to cakes to a hearty risotto, there’s barely a meal goes by in my home that doesn’t feature those sweet orange gourds. I can’t be the only one, right?!
Pumpkin pie bars are the perfect way to ease you into the season. Soft and delightfully spiced with a nip of dark rum, these cosy bars will have you dreaming of orange leaves and crisp afternoon air.Print
Pumpkin pie bars are the perfect way to ease you into the season. Soft and delightfully spiced with a nip of dark rum, these cosy bars will have you dreaming of orange leaves and crisp afternoon air.
For the base:
- 140g light brown sugar
- 100g rolled oats
- 120g plain flour
- 150g unsalted butter, cold
For the pumpkin pie layer:
- 1 can of pumpkin puree (I used Libby’s)
- 2 large, free range eggs
- 110g caster sugar
- 30g self raising flour
- 1tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4tsp ground cloves
- 1/2tsp ground ginger
- 1/2tsp salt
- 50ml dark rum
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 160C and grab a 33x23cm disposable foil tray (try these)
- To make the base place the sugar, oats and flour in a large bowl and stir together. Add the butter in and rub together with your fingertips till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Press this mixture into your tray and bake for around 18 minutes, until golden brown. Set aside to cool while you make the topping.
- To make the topping put all of the ingredients, except the almonds, into a large bowl and beat until combined and smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture on top of the cooked and cooled base, spreading it out into an even layer and sprinkle with a handful of flaked almonds. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until firm to the touch. Leave to cool completely before cutting into bars and serving.
- Category: Brownies and Bars
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: Pumpkin Pie, Bars, Brownies, Autumn, Pumpkin Spice