You can’t really go wrong with a crumble, so simple yet so delicious. Especially when served with a creamy vanilla custard
For the fruit layer:
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g light brown sugar
- 3 large eating apples, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 200g blackberries
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
For the crumble:
- 150g rolled oats
- 100g plain flour
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 100g butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 75g light brown sugar
- Heat the oven to 170C and prepare a large ovenproof dish.
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and sugar together. Add the apples and cook for 10 minutes until the apples become tender. Add the blackberries and cinnamon and cook for another 5 minutes. Transfer to the ovenproof dish, ensuring the mixture covers the bottom.
- While the apples are cooking, make your crumble. Put the flour, cinnamon and oats in a large mixing bowl and mix together. Add the cubed butter and lightly rub together, add the sugar and rub together again until combined. Sprinkle over the apple and blackberry mixture and bake for 20 minutes until the crumble is golden and the filling is bubbling. Serve with vanilla custard.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: apple crumble, blackberry, dessert, british, baking, traditional