You guys don’t half love a boozy bake. Whenever I look at my blog stats one particular post always stands out in terms of popularity, my gin and tonic cupcakes. I’ve seemed to shy away from cupcakes on my blog; probably because I bake them at work all day, every day, but that’s enough of that. What a way to reintroduce cuppies than with these super kick-ass Jack Daniels and Coke cupcakes.
These delightfully squiffy babies consist of a cola sponge, hollowed out and filled with a Jack Daniels spiced chocolate ganache. They’re then topped with a swirl of Jack Daniels butter cream, followed by more ganache and a jelly cola bottle. I’d recommend these cupcakes for any adult occasion but I can’t help but notice how perfect they’d be for Fathers Day, what a coincidence that it’s coming up next week!
I’m already planning a bit of a cuptail (that’s a cocktail cupcake to you and me) series for my blog, combining my passion for cake and a good old booze. What cocktail would you like to see magicked into a cupcake wrapper?Print
Adapted from How to be a Domestic Goddess
For the cupcakes:
- 250ml full fat Coke
- 250g unsalted butter
- 85g cocoa powder
- 220g plain flour
- 400g caster sugar
- 2tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 250ml soured cream
For the ganache:
- 600g plain chocolate
- 300ml double cream
- 4tsp Jack Daniels
For the Buttercream:
- 250g butter, softened
- 750g icing sugar
- 4tbsp Jack Daniels
- 3–4tbsp milk
- Preheat your oven to 175C and line two cupcake trays with liners. In a large saucepan bring the coke and butter to a simmer until melted together. Sift in the cocoa powder followed by the sugar, whisk until combined.
- In a large jug whisk together the eggs and soured cream until smooth, slowly add the egg mixture to the cola, whisking constantly. Add the flour and baking powder, fold together till everything is smooth and silky. Fill the cupcake cases 3/4 full and bake for twenty minutes.
- While the cakes are baking prepare the ganache. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl, set aside. In a small saucepan bring the double cream to a simmer, once small bubbles start to form pour the cream over the chocolate and leave for two minutes. Stir till smooth and combined before stirring in the Jack Daniels. Set aside to thicken slightly while you await your cupcakes.
- Once your cupcakes are baked and cooled use an apple corer, or a sharp knife to hollow out the centre of each cake. Fill each hollow with ganache and set aside while you make your butter cream.
- For the butter cream place the butter and icing sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer, cover with a tea towel and mix on a medium speed. Once combined add the Jack Daniels and the milk and mix, again on a medium speed. If the frosting is still too thick to pipe add a splash of milk until you reach a good consistency. Pipe a swirl on top of each cupcake before dolloping some more ganache on top followed by a jelly cola bottle.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: Jack Daniels, Coke, Cupcakes, Cake, Chocolate, Nigella Lawson, How to be a Domestic Goddess