I, along with everyone else in the world, am constantly on the search for that one chocolate chip cookie recipe that just kicks the ass off all the other chocolate chip cookies. I’ve tried countless varieties, and while none of them have been particularly bad, none of them have took my breath away either. To be perfectly honest, it’s not really a bad quest to be on. Even a mediocre cookie is pretty damn tasty fresh from the oven.
So far, on my epic journey I’ve met a few contenders for the throne but these babies have usurped the lot. Bend the knee and swear alliance to the new king of the North, the chunkiest chocolate chip cookie. Yeah, I may have been watching a little too much Game of Thrones, say something!
The only thing I’d recommend doing with this recipe is doubling, even tripling the quantities and freezing cookie shaped portions. Hot cookies, fresh from the oven on demand. You’re bloody welcome! The frozen cookies should only need two minutes longer on the cooking time, but that might as well be an eternity when your tummies a-rumbling.Print
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 2tbsp demerera sugar
- 170g light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp baking powder
- 220g plain flour
- 200g plain chocolate chopped into chunks
- sea salt to finish
- Preheat your oven to 170C and line three baking sheets with grease proof paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or using a large bowl and hand held whisk, cream together the butter and sugars till light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, beating till incorporated. Slowly add the flour and baking powder and mix to get a dry, slightly crumbly looking dough. Stir through the chocolate chunks.
- Take tablespoons of the cookie dough and shape into rounds, placing on the baking tray as you go making sure you leave enough room between cookies for spreading. Sprinkle each cookie with a tiny pinch of sea salt before baking for 10 – 12 minutes. Once baked allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling, that is if you can restrain yourself.
- Pour yourself a cold glass of milk and dig in!
- Category: Cookies
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: Chocolate Chip Cookies,