Whenever I have to explain the concept of gluten free to a customer in my shop; I’m usually met with a curled lip and a snort of disgust (while I try and contain an eye roll) and attempt to convince them that gluten free is not a dirty cake for sickly people. If there was ever a cake to convince people that gluten free can be just as good, if not better than regular cake then this flourless chocolate cake is it.
This flourless chocolate cake packs a super intense hit of chocolatey, gooey goodness with the added bonus that an actual chimp with a whisk could knock it up in a matter of minutes. Three ingredients and an oven is all it takes to get this bad boy from your screen to your mouth. What are you waiting for, get whisking!Print
- 8 large eggs
- 450g good quality plain chocolate, chopped
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- Heat your oven to 160°C and grease the line the bottom and sides of a 8″ spring-form cake tin with greaseproof paper. Wrap the outside of the cake tin with tin foil and place in a large baking tray with high sides. Fill and boil a kettle, you’ll be making a Ban Marie to bake your cake later.
- Place the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer, or use an electric whisk and beat the eggs until doubled in size, this should take around 5-7 minutes. While your eggs are fluffing up melt together the butter and chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Once the chocolate is melted fold in half of the egg mixture using a spatula, repeat with the remaining egg until the batter is smooth and streak free.
- Pour the batter into you prepared tin and place it, still inside the baking tray, in the oven. Being very careful, pour the recently boiled water into the baking tray until it reaches half way up the side of the cake tin. Bake for 25 minutes until risen and just set, it should look a little bit like a chocolate brownie with a slight wobble to the very middle of the cake. Take the cake tin out of the Ban Marie and place in the fridge until completely cooled.
- When ready to serve remove the cake pan and carefully peel off the greaseproof paper. Dust with icing sugar and serve with mixed berries and cream.
- Category: Baking
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
Keywords: Gluten Free, Flourless, Chocolate, Cake