For the Soup:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 large pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 100g gruyere cheese grated
- 100ml reduced fat coconut milk, keep some for a drizzle
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drain and rub them dry in a clean tea towel
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- First of all make your chickpeas. Preheat the oven to 170°C and prepare a large baking tray. Place your dried chickpeas in a freezer bag and add the oil, close the bag and shake to coat. Open and repeat the process with the dry spices. Pour the chickpeas onto the baking tray and roast for 25 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are roasting heat the coconut oil over a medium heat in a large pan. Fry the onions until soft and slightly coloured. Crush in your garlic cloves and cook for another minute or so. Tip in the butternut squash and all the spices followed by the vegetable stock and simmer until the squash is tender, around 20 minutes.
- Once cooked through transfer everything to a blender and process until smooth and creamy. Pour back into the pan, stir through the grated cheese until melted before adding the coconut milk. If the soup is still a little thick add some water until it reaches your desired consistency. Check your seasoning, heat through and serve with the spiced chickpeas and a drizzle of coconut milk.
- Category: Vegeterian
- Cuisine: Soup
Keywords: Soup, vegetarian, butternut squash