Spicy Cheese Scones

For the past week I have had an intense craving for warm cheese scones.  I’m sure you’re all aware that there isn’t much worse in life than a bland supermarket scone, so there was only one option. Get my tush in the kitchen and bake my own.

Luckily I’d just been up to my favorite farm shop for a big slab of delicious and extra strong Snowdonia Little Black Bomber cheese. Oh I do love a strong cheese.  I often mourn the loss of the olde stylee dairy they used to run at Beamish. They did a cheese so strong it could pull the gums over your teeth, sigh.

The best thing about this recipe is it contains no butter which I’m quite sure means they’re good for you…right?  So, if you want delicious and light scones in a hurry, this is for you!

Spicy Cheese Scones

Ingredients:

250g self raising flour

3tsp baking powder

large pinch salt

sprinkle of cayenne pepper/chilli powder (optional but recommended)

200g strong cheddar cheese, grated

3tsp vegetable oil

125 ml milk (maybe a bit more depending on how it mixes)

1 large, free range egg

Method:

Preheat oven to 180C and grease a large baking tray.

Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne pepper into a large bowl. Add the cheese and mix through the flour mixture.

Beat the egg and milk together in a separate bowl and add the oil. The oil replaces the butter/margarine that usually gets used to rub into the flour. By using the oil you cut down on the dreaded calories and it saves a lot of time.

Pour the milk/egg/oil mixture into the flour mixture and using a metal spoon / fork, mix the dough until it clumps together, but is not too dry. If too dry, splash a bit more milk in to use up the flour.

Press the dough out on a flat clean floured surface until it is about 5mm thick, then fold it over ontop of itself (this gives the finished scones the natural “break” to cut open), flatten it again, using the palm of your hand. Do not use a rolling pin as it is too heavy and will prevent the scones from rising.

Cut out your scones out by using a round cutter (you decide on the size) or if you don’t have a cutter handy use a drinking glass. Place them on a baking tray and brush them with a little milk, pop them in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.  Serve, still warm, with lashings of butter, cheese, jams and honey.

1. How To Be Perfect
    February 24, 2011 / 4:41 pm

I love cheese scones and yours look brilliant, so yummy. x

2. tam
    February 24, 2011 / 5:07 pm

I can't eat cheese these days and don't miss it really other than in cheese scones! I love love love cheese scones! They look delicious x x

3. Antonia
    February 24, 2011 / 6:13 pm

I am now also craving cheese scones. These look so good – would love one with a big bowl of soup. Good that they don't contain butter though I know I'd undo all the goodness by smearing a great blob of salted butter in the middle. Naughty me!

4. daisychain
    February 24, 2011 / 7:36 pm

I love cheese scones, in fact I was also craving them the other day but lacked the ingredients. Will be making these as my Dad loves them for work!

5. Jacqueline
    February 24, 2011 / 8:01 pm

Your scones look gorgeous and they have risen beautifully. Pity I finished my soup earlier today, These would have gone with it perfectly 🙂

6. camelia
    February 24, 2011 / 8:53 pm

Hello,We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com. We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,enjoy your recipes. Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already membersand benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com. To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site" Best regards, Vincentpetitchef.com

7. Helen
    February 24, 2011 / 10:26 pm

Ooh I may try these at the weekend! And yes, I agree these must be healthy because there's no butter so you can eat twice as much haha

8. Mary
    February 24, 2011 / 11:43 pm

Hola soy de España y me gusta mucho tu blog tienes cosas muy bonitas felicidades Te dejo mi blog para que me conozcas http://mary505.blogspot.com/

February 25, 2011 / 5:19 am

I love this idea. These scones look mouth watering good.

February 25, 2011 / 10:37 am

They really are super good. You'd never guess there's no butter! But I do recommend going easy on the pepper. I was a little heavy handed and boy are they spicy!Katie xox

11. C
    February 25, 2011 / 7:17 pm

Oh yum. I don't think it's fair that I'm now craving cheese scones too 😉 yours look beautifully light and well risen.

12. Maria♥
    February 27, 2011 / 3:53 pm

I love scones but have never tried the cheese version. These look and sound very yummy!Mariax

March 1, 2011 / 12:54 pm

They look lovely, and you're not alone I absolutely hate superstore scones.

14. jessica january
    March 31, 2011 / 3:03 pm

this is suuper cute! lovesjanuary, x jessicajanuary.com