SMS: Toasted Almond Lemon Bars

I’m afraid I’ll be leaving you a fleeting post today, dear readers.  I’m awaiting my ride to the Newcastle Quayside Market along with several hundred cupcakes, brownies and cookies.  Fingers crossed for a good one.

These toasted almond lemon bars were one of the very first recipes that caught my eye in the Sweet Melissa Baking Book.  Since that day I’ve been waiting for someone to notice how special they sounded.  At last, my prayers were answered by Rebecca from Indecisive Baker.

Despite how delicious these bars are, I found the recipe a little too much of a faff to ever try again.  The dough was a nightmare to work with, so soft even after allowing it to chill in the fridge.  Trying to sculpt the sticky mess up the sides of my baking tin almost drove me to insanity, I must have washed my hands about twenty times.

So, my search for the perfect lemon bar continues.  Do you have a reliable recipe?  I’d love to give it a try.

1. Peachy Tarts
    July 26, 2010 / 11:46 am

Those bars look delicious. I made lemon bars a while ago using a recipe from the Hummingbird Bakery book that, if I remember rightly, were fairly faff free and rather yummy.

July 26, 2010 / 1:10 pm

Thanks Rebecca, I'll give that one a go :)Yeah, it went amazingly. We sold out. Going to pop down this Sunday too. So much fun.Katie xox

3. Eliana
    July 26, 2010 / 2:19 pm

Too bad you won't be trying them again because your bars look amazing!

4. Nina
    July 26, 2010 / 6:05 pm

These look great even if they were hard to make! I didn't even try so you did better than I did!

5. Future Grown-Up
    July 26, 2010 / 7:03 pm

Totally agree with you…the dough was very sticky and hard to work with. These do look great though!

6. Cupcake Crazy Gem
    July 26, 2010 / 9:20 pm

Glad the market went well, did you take pics? would love to see all the baked goods you sold! Just wanted to check did your cupcake prize arrive?

7. Julie
    July 27, 2010 / 12:43 am

Hope the cupcake sales went well. your bars look delicious, even if the recipe gave you some troubles.

July 27, 2010 / 1:29 am

Your bars look wonderful! Your cake stand is pretty, too. Sorry they gave you trouble. I did not press the dough up the sides of the pan and they turned out fine, if that helps.

9. Shandy
    July 27, 2010 / 4:24 am

Your bars turned out gorgeous! I know what you mean about a nightmare for sticky dough. I had a ton of flour by my side, madly dousing my hands everytime I touched the dough.Always great to hear someone say they love u-pick farms too. This was the first time hubby ever went to one and he even was proud of our blueberry picking fun.

July 27, 2010 / 7:52 am

I got it a few days ago Gem. I was so swamped with cupcake related business that I just couldn't get it from that darned post office!I love it though. Thank you so much. The lip balms made my day <3xoxo

July 28, 2010 / 7:48 pm

Aw I'm sorry that this frustrated you into never making them again. I guess I just rolled up my sleeves and wouldn't take no for an answer when it came to the crust. And it was too delish not to make again.They certainly look wonderful though!!

12. Jaime
    August 4, 2010 / 6:32 pm

wow…bright yellow and beautiful!

13. Linda V
    August 6, 2010 / 8:39 am

They look completely delicious, alas I have no tried and true Lemon Bar recipe to share with you.

14. Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany)
    August 14, 2010 / 12:05 pm

Yum they look fantastic! I just posted a lemon slice..not exactly lemon bars but hey.

August 17, 2010 / 1:51 pm

Yum! They look great! I'm really on a lemon kick lately and these look perfect!

16. apparentlyjessy
    August 18, 2010 / 12:34 pm

Well considering how much work you put into these lemon bars, it was surely worth it, they really do look perfect and yummy! I love your cake stand too, quite stunning!