Sweet Melissa Sundays: Gingersnaps

Have I told you that I love ginger?  Well I do.  I love it in curry, I love it in crumbles and most of all I love it in biscuits!   Open my cupboard and you’ll notice, among all of the random tins and jars ginger is the most stocked item. Stem, chopped, crystallized, ground, then open my fridge and there’s a little knobbly finger of the stuff.  You see what I mean…

After my deceleration you’ll be very surprised to hear that gingersnaps are my very favorite biscuit.  After seeing it on the SMS list I’ve been itching to get them baked and right in my cookie jar, but these biscuits just weren’t gingery enough for my palate.  They needed something, they needed more!  I added chopped stem ginger and a teaspoon of ginger syrup.  Perfect.  The stem ginger added that extra bite and made a good biscuit into an excellent one!

Check out Gloria’s aptly named blog The Gingersnap Girl for the recipe and don’t forget to check out the rest of the SMS bakers for their yummy treats.

1. Stephanie
    June 27, 2010 / 4:13 pm

Good idea to add in that extra gingeriness! I agree, these were definitely on the mild side of ginger cookies. Yours look so flawless and perfect!

2. E is for Eleanor
    June 27, 2010 / 5:54 pm

These look delicious! I love ginger too. It's a part of my morning ritual to have gingersnaps with a cup of tea@ x

3. Lucie
    June 27, 2010 / 6:40 pm

These look and sound lovely. I really like that tin too – adorable! Lucie x

4. Flourchild
    June 27, 2010 / 8:03 pm

Very good looking cookies Katie!! I love the tin they are displayed in. My cookies or giant cookie turned out very ugly(I not pretty like yours) but it sure tasted yummy!!

5. Sweet and Savory
    June 27, 2010 / 8:51 pm

Very clever, Katie how you gingered-up the ginger snap. I bet that was good.

6. Julie
    June 27, 2010 / 9:00 pm

Beautiful! Funny I love fresh ginger but not gingersnaps. Maybe they're too much like spice cookies and need more ginger. Thanks for the thought. I love your tin!

7. Tessa
    June 27, 2010 / 9:12 pm

Glad you were able to adapt the recipe to your craving. I wasn't able to make these thi week, but yours look great!

8. Gloria
    June 27, 2010 / 9:45 pm

Katie your ginger biscuits look wonderful! I too am a ginger fan…but I think you take the cake with all your variations of ginger on hand. Glad to hear you able to amp up the ginger flavor to make them just right. =)Your photos are great and really like your presentation. Thanks for baking along this week!

9. Tiff
    June 27, 2010 / 9:47 pm

Your cookies look delicious and I love that you made them more gingery! They sound great and I think I will have to go hunt for some ginger syrup now, yum!

June 27, 2010 / 10:14 pm

Haha, my tin was in reference to my silent support of England in the football today. Apparently it did nothing and we were trounced 4-1. :(Katie xox

11. rebecca
    June 28, 2010 / 1:40 am

Beautiful biscuits! Perfect rounds!Sorry about the football outcome- we feel your pain!

12. faithy, the baker
    June 28, 2010 / 2:47 am

I have to try this! Your's look just like store bought and so lovely!

June 28, 2010 / 5:49 am

Such great (and appropriate) presentation! I feel the same way about ginger: I halved everything but the spices.

14. Candy Girl
    June 28, 2010 / 11:25 am

Looks great!

15. Eliana
    June 28, 2010 / 2:21 pm

They look perfect Katie

June 28, 2010 / 4:03 pm

Ginger is my absolute favorite too! I love your tin of cookies. So pretty!

17. ajcabuang04
    June 28, 2010 / 5:44 pm

I love gingersnaps. I first had them in grade school but I never had them since. It's time for me to make some!Would you mind checking out my blog? :Dhttp://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

18. Tracey
    June 29, 2010 / 3:05 am

Sorry about the game – I was watching and rooting :(Your cookies are lovely! I wish mine had been thicker like yours. I prefer subtle ginger flavor so these were perfect for me!

19. sunita
    June 29, 2010 / 12:19 pm

I love gingersnaps too and yours look perfect 🙂

20. spike.
    June 30, 2010 / 1:45 pm

really wish I had gotten to this recipe- yours look perfect!

21. Anne
    July 2, 2010 / 8:19 pm

Yey – another ginger fiend! I love the stuff in any form, fresh, powdered, slivers with sushi, stem ginger, all quite lovely!!!I am going to make these and keep them all to myself I think, no one else seems to share my ginger love round here 🙁

22. Maria♥
    July 4, 2010 / 7:46 pm

I love gingernut biscuits but I bet these are even better! A must try.Mariax

23. How To Be Perfect
    July 14, 2010 / 12:47 pm

I ordered mine weeks ago too and it just arrived so fingers crossed your copy will get there soon x It's great, seriously cute x