Sweet Melissa and her Carrot Cake

Good morning campers, and to all you yummy mummies out there, Happy Mothers Day! If any of you are like me then this cake will be making the perfect addition to an already lovely Mothering Sunday gift. I mean, every mam deserves a cake! This weeks pick was the choice of Julie from a Little Bit of Everything, Carrot Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting.

I was quite excited to make this one as for as long as I can remember I’ve turned the SMS layer cakes into cupcakes. So this week I decided to stick to the recipe, for once. Sadly, my excitement was short lived as I found this cake rather disappointing. As it baked the cake developed quite a crispy top, not dissimilar to the texture of a meringue. Oddly enough, while the top was quite dry, the inside was awfully moist, a little too moist, despite passing the toothpick test. Personally, I blame my oven! This was the last thing I baked before getting my oven door replaced as for the last year the inner glass has been loose and the seal has been broken (thanks mister landlord). Fingers crossed that from now on my cakes will be disaster free 😉

Don’t forget to have a mosey over to the SMS bakers to see everyone else’s mothers day treats!

1. Kirshcherry
    March 14, 2010 / 11:09 am

Your cake looks lovely. I found my cake came out quite moist, but figured that was due to the wholemeal flour substitute 🙂

2. Brisbane Baker
    March 14, 2010 / 11:31 am

I too have a bodgy oven :(.. Since moving to my new house my Mr. Landlord has replaced the thermostat and the door and it still burns everything! You would think getting a repair man out 2 times would cost the same as a new one. A few of my Green velvet cupcakes I'm about to post came out with a crispy top aswell.. Weird :S

3. E is for Eleanor
    March 14, 2010 / 12:06 pm

ooh carrot cake is my favourite, i made one the other day and it was delicious!

4. Candy Girl
    March 14, 2010 / 12:16 pm

Your cake looks lovely! Sorry the recipe was disappointing!

5. Julie
    March 14, 2010 / 12:26 pm

Mine had a similar top to the one you describe, although not as hard. Ovens can be so challenging sometimes. Love your cake plate!Thanks for baking with me!

6. Chele
    March 14, 2010 / 12:42 pm

I find it really annoying when equipment lets your baking down, after all the love and care that goes into making the mixture. Despite that though your cake looks wonderful Katie, I'd never have guessed the oven had failed you. Hope your Mum enjoys it too.

7. Flourchild
    March 14, 2010 / 1:45 pm

Katie, Im sure it wasn't your oven..I have a brand spanking new one and my top came out like a sweet bread texture. How cool you made cake instead of cupcakes! It's fun to try new things! I have only made one other carrot cake recipe so this was different for me too.Your cake looks so good and I think any mom would love it!

8. Tanja
    March 14, 2010 / 2:04 pm

It looks beautiful from the outside, but I would never even attempt to bake a cake containing carrots. 🙂

9. Eliana
    March 14, 2010 / 2:45 pm

Sorry this one didn't work out as well as you would have wanted. You did decorate it beautifully though 🙂

10. Cristine
    March 14, 2010 / 4:24 pm

Sorry it didn't turn out well, but it looks gorgeous!

11. Sherry G
    March 14, 2010 / 4:43 pm

My, my does this look yummy! My oven's a wackbot sometimes too=/ But it is certainly aesthetically pleasing to me!

12. Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul
    March 14, 2010 / 5:39 pm

Hi Katie,Your cake looks wonderful…nicely presented…Have a great day!Carmen

13. Elga
    March 14, 2010 / 6:05 pm

I love carrot cake, and this one is simply delicious!

14. Tracey
    March 14, 2010 / 7:12 pm

So sorry this cake was a disappointment Katie after you were looking forward to it. It does look absolutely gorgeous – simple and elegant!

15. Nina
    March 14, 2010 / 8:32 pm

This look lovely! I love all the flowers on top!At least they look pretty even if it's not perfect!

16. Joanne
    March 15, 2010 / 12:10 am

I'm so sorry about the oven mishap! The cake certainly looks beautiful. I just made Dorie Greenspan's carrot cake recipe and loved it, so you might want to look there for inspiration if you're bent on making a good carrot cake.Happy mother's day!

17. k.a.r.e.n
    March 15, 2010 / 12:46 am

Your cake looks amazing!

18. Susan
    March 15, 2010 / 2:54 am

Well, your cake sure looks like it's good! We liked it here. I baked two 6 inch layers using half the recipe. Love your cake stand!

19. Natashya KitchenPuppies
    March 15, 2010 / 11:27 am

The cake looks yummy – I hope your oven woes are over now!

20. spike.
    March 15, 2010 / 4:28 pm

looks gorgeous! What a lucky mam

21. Maria♥
    March 15, 2010 / 7:13 pm

Katie, your cake turned out gorgeous despite your oven troubles. Mariax

22. Hanaâ
    March 15, 2010 / 7:40 pm

Your two layer cake looks beautiful! Sorry to hear this wasn't a winner for you. I'd definitely bake it again once your oven door is fixed. It was delicious. I added orange zest to the batter which gave it a refreshing taste.

23. Leslie
    March 15, 2010 / 9:35 pm

Sorry this was a little disappointing! Mine was too and my oven door is fine. Just saying…

March 16, 2010 / 1:58 am

Your cake looks gorgeous, sorry it was a bit of a disappointment. I thought four eggs sounded like a lot, maybe that's why it crisped?

March 16, 2010 / 3:11 am

Your cake looks wonderful. Too bad it didn't work out tastewise for you.

26. Noble Nourishment
    March 16, 2010 / 12:45 pm

Ooooh look at that delicious frosting! Love the cake stand, it's so pretty 🙂

27. Rosa's Yummy Yums