Primrose Cupcakes

Sorry guys, no SMS yet again! I can’t abide coffee or coffee flavoured things (with the exception of coffee revels which are divine) so this weeks selection of chocolate espresso cheesecake just didn’t rock my world. I’m sure the coffee lovers found this one to die for so as usual check out their blogs for unbiased testimonies.

Instead I fancied something a bit sunnier and much lighter than a cheesecake so I decided to test out the lemon cupcake recipe from the Primrose Bakery Cookbook. I’ve used this book quite a few times and I just can’t decided whether I prefer it to the much loved Hummingbird book so I pit it against one of my favorite HBB recipes, a simple lemon cupcake.

I have to admit, I much prefer the Hummingbird cupcake, they just weren’t lemony enough for my tastes but the frosting from Primrose was far superior. Mainly because I didn’t have to make a double batch to ice my cakes. Put them together and I think I have a winner! Lovely!

1. Nora
    December 6, 2009 / 7:25 pm

Those cakes are just beautiful! And as the owner of the Hummingbird book but not the Primrose Bakery one, I'm glad to hear that its recipe is superior! 😀 Maybe I should buy it though, so I can do my own experiments…

2. Flourchild
    December 6, 2009 / 8:49 pm

I think the frosting looks amazing! Im not a fan of coffee in any of my baked goodies so I just left it out. I added a peanut butter topping instead of the bb glaze.Come over later to see…I am posting it tonight!

3. Janice
    December 6, 2009 / 10:19 pm

These look gorgeous. I saw both books were in Tescos and was wondering which one I could get away with buying – you are not helping here by saying that they are both good!

4. Hanaâ
    December 6, 2009 / 11:20 pm

Those cupcakes look delicious. I LOVE lemon-flavored baked goods.

5. lakegirl
    December 7, 2009 / 1:04 am

These are beautiful!!!! The frosting looks amazing!

6. Susan
    December 7, 2009 / 1:22 am

Love the cupcakes…so pretty! The cheesecake was good. I didn't really taste the coffee, only rich creamy chocolate!

7. Nina
    December 7, 2009 / 2:16 am

The cupcakes are so beautiful! I have not worked with my piping tips in so long, but this just makes me want to asap!

8. Vanillastrawberryspringfields
    December 7, 2009 / 7:16 am

Lovely yummy cakkeys-me love me love-perfect just like every on ur lovely blog!The pics,all the beautiful home stuff u have ,ur wooden finished counter,the piped frosting & cute as a button lemony limey candy!!!perfecto mia menina!!!!

9. Rosy
    December 7, 2009 / 11:15 am

They look sooooo good! I'm dying to know which cookbook you prefer – I have both on my xmas wish list. Always been a fan of Primrose bakery but then Hummingbird is soooo good too… Ooo, come down for a cupcake tour of London!!!! xx

10. The Girl
    December 7, 2009 / 11:33 am

They look so pretty!! I need to get a piping bag and work on putting my icing on nicely instead of throwing it on with a spoon!I have the Hummingbird Bakery book and LOVE it. But hardly ever seem to have the time to make anything from it. When I do get the chance though, Marshmallow cupcakes are on the list!

11. Tracey
    December 8, 2009 / 5:19 am

Your cupcakes are so pretty! I love lemon and haven't been baking with it nearly enough lately 🙂

12. Natashya KitchenPuppies
    December 9, 2009 / 12:07 pm

They are so pretty! I agree with you, the more lemon the better.

13. aforkfulofspaghetti
    December 11, 2009 / 2:03 pm

Interesting to hear about your preference for Hummingbird v Primrose. Have been wondering which one to get…Oh, and even if they weren't lemony enough, they still look gorgeous 😉

March 5, 2010 / 8:11 pm

Lovely food styling, I'm smitten!