Spiced Pumpkin Cookie Cakes

I was a little dubious about this recipe, as was everyone else when I told them I was making a sweet treat containing pumpkin. The general reaction was a furrowing of the brow, curling of the lip and the statement ‘remember the pumpkin brownies, Katie? Is that something you really want to recreate?’ Although my pumpkin brownies were a total failure I still couldn’t leave this one be, I mean Americans do love their pumpkin deserts and millions of people can’t be wrong! So, I went in search of canned pumpkin and ended up paying £3.50 in my local food hall. They better be worth it!

Once finished, I brought the cookie cakes into the living room, presenting them as nicely as I possibly could. Slowly, one by one, people approached the cookies and sheepishly took one. Looking at each other they raised them to their lips, closed their eyes and took a tentative nibble. I studied their faces, waiting for a reaction. The nervousness suddenly faded away and was replaced with delight! ‘Wow! They’re so spicy, can I have another?’ Yes, another winner! Thank you Sweet Melissa and thank you Debbie, if it wasn’t for you I’d have pushed pumpkin based treats aside, never to attempt again.

Have a lookie at the other SMS girls, Americans do it better 😉

1. Jessica
    October 18, 2009 / 1:30 pm

Those cookies look perfect! You know, it's actually been news over here that pumpkin was in short supply. People were very stressed about the lack of pumpkin for a bit at the beginning of October. I think that all of the clammoring got enough attention that now pumpkin is all over the place here. I'm sorry it was such a pain for you to run down, but it sounds like it was definitely worth it! I loved reading about the reactions to tasting the cookies.

2. Flourchild
    October 18, 2009 / 1:35 pm

Im so happy these worked out for you! I love the carrying dish your cookies are resting in..so vintage! I loved this recipe and thought the cookies melted right in your mouth!

3. Mrs. G
    October 18, 2009 / 1:58 pm

Great presentation! I'm glad everyone like them. Maybe I missed something because I didn't think they had enough spice.

4. lakegirl
    October 18, 2009 / 6:08 pm

Your cookie cakes look yummy! Interesting how pumpkin is more of an American thing. We're all about pumpkin this time of year!!!

October 18, 2009 / 7:20 pm

Your cookies look absolutely beautiful, I love the dish they're in. Hopefully now that you know you like pumpkin treats you'll be able to get a better price on it, the things we do for our baking groups.

6. SUGAR B
    October 18, 2009 / 7:32 pm

Beautiful cookies! 🙂

October 18, 2009 / 7:51 pm

Katie, you're simply adorable! I love how you described your tasters' reaction- that they each "sheepishly took one"- too cute! I'm glad they were a hit, and you now have a positive pumpkin experience under your belt. From here on out you can associate pumpkin desserts with these delightful whoopie pies instead of those notorious brownies! Have a wonderful rest of your weekend, and I hope to hear from you soon :)<3,Joy

October 18, 2009 / 10:57 pm

Love it! Great post, love the reaction of your tasters. I can't believe you have to pay that much for canned pumpkin there. Your cookie cakes look great.

9. Shandy
    October 18, 2009 / 11:19 pm

Beautiful cookies! I never heard what happened about the pumpkin brownies but this recipe for spiced pumpkin cookie cakes sounds like your comeback. I had no idea there was a pumpkin shortage but I live in the Seattle, Wa area and we have farms Everywhere. I feel spoiled all of a sudden.

10. k.a.r.e.n
    October 19, 2009 / 12:38 am

Cute story — glad everyone loved them! They sure do look great!

11. Nina
    October 19, 2009 / 12:59 am

glad that they were enjoyable to you!

12. Tracey
    October 19, 2009 / 1:08 am

Your post makes me really appreciate how cheap pumpkin is around here! There seemed to be a shortage earlier this year but I've had no problem finding it lately. I'm glad you tried these and that they were well received!

13. The Bahens
    October 19, 2009 / 7:17 am

Beautiful presentation! I'm so glad everyone liked them. Now you can just strike those blasted pumpkin brownies from your memory!

14. Katie
    October 19, 2009 / 8:52 am

They look wonderful – a bit like American whoopie pies only with the flavours of autumn. YUM

15. Natashya KitchenPuppies
    October 19, 2009 / 11:01 am

They look great! Wow, pumpkin is expensive there!

16. Eliana
    October 19, 2009 / 3:59 pm

Katie your version of these look fantastic. So elegant!

17. spike.
    October 19, 2009 / 4:17 pm

Yay! So glad everyone liked them.

18. Karin
    October 20, 2009 / 2:06 am

Welcome to the wonderful world of pumpkin! I'm so glad you enjoyed them (and everyone else). I have to admit, the thought of pumpkin brownies gives my stomach a slight turn. Not sure I'm down with that flavor combination!

19. Melissa
    October 20, 2009 / 5:13 am

I love your picture! The pumpkin brownies sound…..interesting!Glad everyone liked them!

October 20, 2009 / 1:46 pm

i'm so glad that these were a hit for you!! i would have hated for you to forever punish pumpkin for one botched recipe.they look great!

21. Drea
    October 20, 2009 / 9:40 pm

I live in Surrey, but I'm originally from Canada where we have pumpkin everything between Oct – Dec. I was searching the Greater London area for canned pumpkin, but no one had ever heard of it before. All my friends thought pumpkin was only for savory things, where as I thought of it mainly for sweet things. I ended up finding canned pumpkin for £1.69 at Whole Foods Market on Kesington Road – they carry a lot of North American products there including Karo Corn Syrup. Anyways just for the hell of it, I figured I would try and make my own pumpkin muffins from fresh pumpkin an they turned out great, so don't waste your money on canned anymore! Take a fresh pumpkin, cut it up, cook it in the oven until it's mushy, remove the skin, puree it with a hand belnder, then pour it all in a tea towel and SQUEEZE until almost all of the water comes out – there is a lot of water, so it will take a few mins. After that it's ready to use as canned pumpkin. You can freeze it as well!

22. Karine
    October 21, 2009 / 11:29 am

Your cookies look so cute and delicious! You have a great combo of flavors in them 🙂

23. apparentlyjessy
    October 26, 2009 / 9:21 am

Yum! Yours look so perfect, and I think they sound delicious! I can't find canned pumpkin here in Australia sadly, otherwise I would make these in a heartbeat!

24. Nicisme
    November 5, 2009 / 12:45 pm

I'm really taken with these, they look fabulous!I've seen canned pumpkin in Waitrose, but can't remember how much it sells for.

25. Si
    November 17, 2009 / 7:11 am

love your blog, these look delish. Love the sweet melissa cookbook too.

26. Rhandi
    November 17, 2009 / 7:42 am

I am an American who loves pumpkin everything, and your little cookies look fabulous! Can you get fresh pumpkins where you live? I bake with pumpkin a lot this time of year and rarely used canned. It's really easy to bake, scoop out the flesh and puree in a processor. Great blog!