Late…again!

Bah, I was determined to post this week SMS on time, I had it baked, photographed and ready to go. Then, well, life happened. I ended up going out with some of my lovely girls and getting a tinsy bit squiffy. My whole Sunday was written off, I took up refuge on the couch, remote in one hand and takeaway menu in the other. I must be getting old if a hangover takes a day and a half to clear :S Oh to be 21 again.

But, here I am! Yes, a day late but it’s better than never. This weeks recipe was the perfect pound cake, personally I’ve never had, baked or even been in the same room as a pound cake before so I don’t really have that much to base my reaction on but boy was it tasty. So dense, so…well perfect! I baked my cake in a bundt as I felt the tins have been neglected slightly, it didn’t rise as much as I’d hoped so next time I’ll stick with the traditional loaf. Check out Michelle at Veggie Num Nums for the recipe, and of course, to oggle her amazingly adorable kitties!

Now, for something completely different. OK, not completely different as it’s still a cake but a vegetable cake! Everyone knows I’m a huge fan of carrot cake, I flippin love the stuff so this months Zucchini Spice Cupcakes from the Martha Stewart Cupcake Club (yes, I have joined ANOTHER baking group) was a definite winner for me. I almost think I’m doing something good when I eat a cake baked with vegetables, I mean, it counts as one of your five a day….right? Right!

I love these cakes, love love love! What a perfect recipe for the start of autumn. Like a hug from your mam in a cuppie liner. Delicious!

1. Karin
    September 14, 2009 / 1:32 pm

Both look delicious, but the zuchinni cupcakes sound wonderful! And they look so cute in the tea cups…

2. Rosy
    September 14, 2009 / 3:19 pm

Oh yum!! I'm a HUGE carrot cake fan too – must try the courgette equivalent. We have a bit of a glut in the garden at the mo so perfect! Arrrgghhh, why must I love baking so much and yet hate the gym??! xps do you have a definative carrot cake icing recipe? Mine's always just not quite right.

3. Lauren
    September 14, 2009 / 3:23 pm

i love hearing words like 'squiffy' 😉 those carrot cakes look amazing!

4. Flourchild
    September 14, 2009 / 3:56 pm

Glad to see your post..I enjoy your blog so much! I love love love the blue coffee cups with the yummy looking cakes nestled inside. So cute! Yep the pound cake was a dissapointment but yours looks good too!

5. The Whimsical Cupcake
    September 14, 2009 / 4:21 pm

mmmmm your pound cake looks amazing!!i love carrot cake as well and i have yet to find a recipe i'm happy to dupilcate. maybe these might do the trick :)and yes, i vote that veggies in cake should be part of that 5 a day plan 😉

6. Hanaâ
    September 14, 2009 / 4:50 pm

Your bundt cake turned out great. I'm glad you liked baking/eating your first pound cake. Those cupcakes look super cute. I love carrot cake as well as zucchini cake. I love adding freshly grated nutmeg to both. Yum!Btw, if you're ever in the mood for making homemade cake flour, check out this link: http://amerrierworld.wordpress.com/kate-flour/. This British lady developed a way to make it at home.

7. Ingrid
    September 14, 2009 / 5:29 pm

Love the cuppies sitting in the teacup!~ingrid

September 14, 2009 / 5:44 pm

Oh no, too bad about the hangover! I love the bundt idea, though, and definitely agree that veggie-filled cupcakes should count as a vegetable. Great job!

September 14, 2009 / 5:45 pm

Oh no, too bad about the hangover! I love the idea of using a bundt pan for the pound cake, and thoroughly agree that veggie-filled cupcakes should count as one of your daily vegetables. Great job!

10. Nina
    September 14, 2009 / 9:06 pm

The bundt cake looks awesome! As for the veggies, yes I think that veggies in a cupcake do count. ahha. =]

11. Tracey
    September 14, 2009 / 9:35 pm

Your bundt cake looks so yummy!! Glad you first experience with pound cake was a good one :)Thanks for baking along with me this week for the Martha Stewart Cupcakes group. I love the way your cupcakes look in the coffee cups. These cupcakes were so delicious I gave most of mine away so I wouldn't eat them all myself!

12. Jennifer
    September 14, 2009 / 10:38 pm

MMMMMM I love those little teacup cupcakes!!! Im glad you had a good experience with the pound cake.

13. Mrs. G
    September 14, 2009 / 10:50 pm

Your bundt cake looks so much better than mine! I'm jealous lol. Just kidding.

14. Jaime
    September 14, 2009 / 10:54 pm

great idea baking it in a bundt pan! oh and those cupcakes are too cute!

15. Fit Chick
    September 14, 2009 / 11:06 pm

Lovely looking pound cake, so glad you tried it! Your cupcakes really look delicious.

16. lakegirl16
    September 15, 2009 / 12:21 am

It's so fun to see I wasn't the only one who chose to use a bundt pan. I am joining the Martha Stewart group this week, too. Those cupcakes were so good. I sent them to work with my husband, so I wouldn't eat anymore. Too cute in the coffee cups. What a great idea!

17. Jessica
    September 15, 2009 / 12:50 am

Those cupcakes are adorable — I particularly love that they are sitting in teacups. So cute!I hear you on the hangover. It's mind-boggling to me that I used to wake up after a night out and suffer no ill effects at all. I'd have been on the couch all day, too. I'm always behind on posts these days, but better late than never, right?

September 15, 2009 / 1:58 am

I'm glad you're feeling better! The pound cake looks lovely in bundt form, maybe double it next time for a better rise? I can't think of anything much cuter than a cupcake in a teacup, those sound great too; I want to try them while zucchini is in season.

19. Natashya KitchenPuppies
    September 15, 2009 / 2:52 am

Ok, put the kettle on, I am coming over! Lots of great goodies. I miss goodies…

20. Sweet and Savory
    September 15, 2009 / 4:59 am

I love it in the coffee cup. A great idea.

September 15, 2009 / 8:58 am

Rosy, the best I've found so far is from the Martha Stewart Cupcake book, her frosting recipes are to die for. The buttercream is also amazing!Hanaa, I'll deffo give that a try. It's so frustrating not being able to get cake flour in the UK.Katie xox

22. Monica
    September 15, 2009 / 11:53 am

Yes! Exactly like a hug from grammy! I thought the same thing but couldn't think of how to say it. I loved these too! Great job!

September 15, 2009 / 2:18 pm

i LOVE the cake pose! theses were yummy weren't they.. not quite as fluffy and textured as i'm used to with c-cake (mmmmmmmmm) but the added denseness must make them that much healthier..no? not sure about my logic but i sense this must be true.. Oh and the poundcake looks beautiful, wish I'd tried bundting! x

24. k.a.r.e.n
    September 15, 2009 / 4:48 pm

Great triple post! 1. I dont remember what a hangover feels like — its been that long!2. Love the bundt cake — i have yet to make this one.3. I only LIKED the cupcakes.

September 15, 2009 / 7:54 pm

LOVE your blog! Looks so yummy!

26. Heather
    September 15, 2009 / 11:49 pm

Some great baking here! I think there is nothing nicer than a plain but delicious pound cake and the cupcake is too cute as well.

27. Elizabeth
    September 16, 2009 / 12:56 am

Katie, I just love your blog! And the presentation of your cupcakes is just adorable. So creative!!

28. The Food Librarian
    September 16, 2009 / 4:09 pm

Both of these are too pretty. Love the coffee cup cupcakes!

September 16, 2009 / 9:02 pm

I like the pound/bundt cake and I love the cupcakes in mugs!

30. Michele
    September 17, 2009 / 12:10 am

Thank you so much for baking with me Katie! I love your cupcakes and your bundt cake looks delicious!

31. SUGAR B
    September 17, 2009 / 4:12 am

I love the cupcakes in the tea cups! How adorable is that?!Thanks for baking along with us this month! You're a cupcake star!

32. spike.
    September 17, 2009 / 2:03 pm

two tasty cakes! I think that either would help a hang over