Lemon and Poppy Seed cake

Boy, I sure do love a lemon drizzle cake. I’d even go as far to say it’s my very favorite kind of cake. When I’m in a bakery, faced with an array of multi coloured cakes and cookies I’ll always opt for old reliable lemon drizzle. I’d grow old with that cake, love and cherish it for always, Katie & LDC 4eva!

When I saw the variation at the end of the Whole Orange Poppy Seed Cake recipe that replaced the orange with lemon, I was over the moon. I mean, I’d already decided on swapping the citrus siblings but this means I’d have something to work from.

The cake was delicious, the glaze was so super tart it pulled your gums over your teeth, but that’s how I like my lemony treats. Painfully tangy. I think I’m going to give the orange version a try next, just for comparison.

A big thank you to the fantastic Melissa of Lulu the Baker for choosing this recipe! It’s been one of my favorites to date. Go have a browse through the good old SMS bakers for more citrusy poppy seed fun.

1. Heather
    July 19, 2009 / 12:40 pm

Umm – Lemon Poppyseed Cake. I just love a good loaf cake. Melissa's bakery is a couple of neighborhoods away from mine in Brooklyn; it is always absolutely packed.

2. Stephanie
    July 19, 2009 / 1:29 pm

painfully tangy, perfect way to describe it. I love it that way, too! It's almost like a sour patch kid cake. 🙂 Yours looks great! Your photo is beautiful!

3. Flourchild
    July 19, 2009 / 2:36 pm

Wow your glaze topping looks super yummy. I all most tried the lemon too. You do the orange next time and I'll do the lemon!

4. spike.
    July 19, 2009 / 5:09 pm

Is that chocolate on top?! I want to try the lemon next…I'd recommend the orange highly

5. The Bahens
    July 19, 2009 / 5:55 pm

I'll have to try the lemon variation sometime. I bet it is so good! Thanks for baking with me this week!

6. Karine
    July 20, 2009 / 2:25 am

Your version looks amazing! Thanks for sharing!

7. Hanaâ
    July 20, 2009 / 3:17 am

Yum. Your cake looks delicious and fluffy. Love the chocolate/citrus combo. Almost did that too but ran out of time.

8. Nancy/n.o.e
    July 20, 2009 / 12:41 pm

Hmmm, now I'm not sure whether to try lemon or orange; they both sound great! Love your description of the tart glaze.

9. k.a.r.e.n
    July 20, 2009 / 1:39 pm

I definitely have to try it out with lemons. Your cake looks amazing.

10. Sarah
    July 20, 2009 / 2:15 pm

Your cake looks heavenly! I love lemon cakes, too. I didn't get a chance to make this one yet, but everyone's look so good, I may just have to make orange and lemon!

11. Mermaid Sweets
    July 20, 2009 / 3:19 pm

Awesome, it looks delicious. Haven't tried lemon and chocolate. Mmmn. sounds good.

12. Basically, Baby Boots
    July 20, 2009 / 3:44 pm

Somehow chocolate and citrus always seems to go well. Have you tried making "Tim's lemon trickle mash cake" recipe from River Cottage? Raeann

July 20, 2009 / 5:28 pm

Your cake looks great! Chocolate drizzle, wow!

14. Karin
    July 20, 2009 / 6:35 pm

I love sour things too- my mouth started to water when you were talking about how tart it was!

15. Hornedfroggy
    July 20, 2009 / 8:08 pm

Oh my… I'd kill for some of that chocolate drizzle right now! Gorgeous photo!! 🙂

July 21, 2009 / 1:53 am

It looks delectable with that chocolate drizzle. I will have to try lemon and chocolate together someday.

July 21, 2009 / 11:42 am

Hi Katie!Your post made me laugh- I'm glad this week's SMS gave you an opportunity to continue your love affair with lemon desserts 🙂 Now wait a minute, did you drizzle chocolate on top to… I keep looking at the picture, and I'm confused. If so, I wonder what made you think of that combo- SO creative!Hope to talk to you again soon!-Joy

18. Maria♥
    July 22, 2009 / 8:06 pm

My gosh that does look good and I adore lemon drizzle cake too! You must try my St Clement's Drizzle Cake, it truly is a winner.Mariax

19. Tracey
    July 23, 2009 / 4:36 am

Your cake looks delicious! I definitely want to try the lemon version. I wish I'd thought to try the orange version with a chocolate drizzle. That looks scrumptious!

20. Ingrid
    July 24, 2009 / 4:59 pm

Looks good! I've not had chocolate and lemon together.~ingrid