Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it's something you hear countless times during your life. Despite having this drilled into me, I'm still guilty of throwing down a couple of Jammy Dodgers with a cuppa while staring at the laptop. Or even skipping the meal altogether in the hope I'll save a few calories. Very bad adulting!
In a effort to kick my bad habits I like to make a batch of homemade granola on a Sunday to last me the week. Granted, my good intentions usually only last till Tuesday but it doesn't stop this granola from being some of the tastiest I've ever made. If anything has the capacity to get me eating breakfast, it's this.
I like to add mixed dried fruit to all of my granola but feel free to leave it out if you're not a fan, I just love the little pops of colour.
Looking for more breakfast inspiration? How about giving this Pumpkin Spice Granola a whirl, or for something a bit naughtier this Chocolate and Coconut Granola is simply delicious.
Apple Pie Granola
- 350g Rolled oats
- 100g Coconut oil, melted
- 1tsp Salt
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2tsp Ginger
- 1/4tsp Mixed Spice
- 1/8tsp Nutmeg
- 50g Brown sugar
- 100g Apple sauce
- 50g Honey
- 150g Dried apples, chopped
- 75g Pecans, chopped
- 100g Mixed dried fruit (optional but delicious)
- Preheat the oven to 175C and line a large baking tray with grease proof paper.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, salt, spices, apples and nuts together and set aside. In a pan over a medium heat melt together the coconut oil, brown sugar, honey and apple sauce. Pour the wet ingredients over the oat mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Spread the oaty mixture over your prepared baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, stirring the granola every 10 minutes to prevent burning.
- Let the granola cool before mixing in the dried fruit and transferring to a large jar ready for the week ahead.